If you could bring a dead rock star back to life

^^Sadly Zeppy i'll have to agree with Winter and add to that no John Lennon would not emerge at all if not for Elvis and the likes of him in the 50s.

I'd have to add though if you take Elvis in the 70s i would much rather listen to John Lennon. he was just as talented without a doubt IMHO.

as viewer from nihil said: Chuck Schuldiner deserves to come back to life because he died is a pretty fucked way. if i was a doctor i would have operated on him both times for free. long live the memory of chuck and death. \m/

^^Sadly Zeppy i'll have to agree with Winter and add to that no John Lennon would not emerge at all if not for Elvis and the likes of him in the 50s.

I'd have to add though if you take Elvis in the 70s i would much rather listen to John Lennon. he was just as talented without a doubt IMHO.

That's not what we're arguing here. We're talking about dead rock stars, who have already established themselves through their entire careers, brought back to life so that they could perform. In that case, Lennon wins.

That's not what we're arguing here. We're talking about dead rock stars, who have already established themselves through their entire careers, brought back to life so that they could perform. In that case, Lennon wins.

Not quite. if i could bring back 50s Rock N' Roll original Elvis back to life i'd pick him over Lennon.

Eh, agree to disagree. I'm not claiming that Nirvana's entire discography is the best of the grunge bands, just that the Nevermind album is up there.

I am actually not ashamed to say that I "like" Nirvana.

Okay, hold on. Before you get the wrong idea...I DON'T like their music, for the most part. Nope. Slow, incredibly simplistic, only quasi-original (lyrically; not really at all, musically), not for me. But, BUT...I can't hate them.

Everyone blames Cobain for how their music has been bastardized and whored since he died. How the fuck is that his fault??? He's fucking DEAD! For as much shit as people give him, Cobain seemed to me to have a pretty realistic view of where Nirvana stood. He never claimed to be a great musician or that they were a great band. He never hesitated to point out that he really didn't have any musical talent. And he definitely didn't want to be famous, he was shy and he hated being in the spotlight.

So I feel kinda bad for how they've become a paradoy of their "counter" culture image, because it wasn't (entirely) their fault and how their shit has been mercilessly whored.

Also, as bad as a lot of their shit was, at least they were "influenced by" (or ripping off, whichever you prefer) bands that were mostly respectable. And they were slightly less crappy than Pearl Jam.

Just had to throw that in.

Really interesting topic. Most if not all of these have been mentioned, but my choices would be, off the top of my head:

5. Euronymous (not a huge black metal fan, but this guy just fascinates the shit out of me)
4. Rhoads (would've loved to see him ditch Ozzy and start a thrash band :headbang:)
3. Meldrum (personal hero, def. first lady of metal, 'nuff said)
2. Quorthon, and 1. Schuldiner (two people who made great music their entire careers and had an impact on the genre that is impossible to overstate)

Others: Destructor, Piggy

I'll add more as I think of them.