Ihsahn!

kingdomgone86

Jan 6, 2010
Once upon a time, I own the album, 'The Adversary' by Ihsahn. It's not bad and I remember really liking the song Invocation. However, recently listening to angL, I've gotta say he's definitely improved and I'm now excited to see his set. I'd still really like to see him play Thus Spake the Night Spirit if possible. I know that wouldn't be ProgPowerUSAish, but neither is his music...really.

I know that wouldn't be ProgPowerUSAish, but neither is his music...really.

I disagree. His solo material, while having a solid black metal foundation by design, is littered with smatterings of prog rock and prog metal. He has clean voice in many songs. I argue that his music is progressive in the truest sense and he definitely belongs among the bands who have played this festival before.

Also, you gotta check out the newest album. "After", "Frozen Lakes on Mars," and "On the Shores" are amazing. They are also examples of his progressiveness.

I disagree. His solo material, while having a solid black metal foundation by design, is littered with smatterings of prog rock and prog metal. He has clean voice in many songs. I argue that his music is progressive in the truest sense and he definitely belongs among the bands who have played this festival before.

Also, you gotta check out the newest album. "After", "Frozen Lakes on Mars," and "On the Shores" are amazing. They are also examples of his progressiveness.

This.

plus After has a saxophone thru many of the songs...how progressive is that??

I'm not saying it's not Progressive. But really...how many bands have played ProgPower that do black metal screams the majority of the time? Maybe Mercenary or Into Eternity.

When Amorphis played, they did at least one song from Karelian Isthmus, an album that has no clean vocals.

Sure, Ihsahn doesn't do the ball-pinching falsettos and sing about dragons, but his shit fits on the stage at PPUSA.

Yeah, actually I was surprised at how many songs in Amorphis' set incorporated growls (and a lot of growls) at PPUSA. :kickass:

I'm hoping Therion will trot out a few old-school growlers this year as well.

^^^that'd be awesome, but I don't think they did last time they were here, can't recall the setlist now though, its been too long...but Ihsahn's latest:

1) is absolutely progressive
2) black structured
3) blows away the 1st 2 discs (which aren't bad in their own right)

this will be a highlight, and as much as I'm hoping for an Emperor song I'm not holding my breath (to avoid disappointment:))

I have a feeling that Therion's setlist will not reflect what their setlist has been on other recent shows. Isn't this supposed to be a "special" show for them?

I'll still hope for "Nightside of Eden" or "Baal Reginon."

Anything from the first three Therion records is a-ok with me.

Ihsahn generally throws in at least one Emperor song into his solo sets. Here's to hoping that trend doesn't change for the PP performance!

I have a feeling that Therion's setlist will not reflect what their setlist has been on other recent shows. Isn't this supposed to be a "special" show for them?

Yep. As special as C.J. can make it, within their budget. 2 hrs and 15 minutes+.

I'll still hope for "Nightside of Eden"

*sigh*

or "Baal Reginon."

--That's possible. :)

I put in a request waybackwhen for "The Wild Hunt" since they didn't play it here last time. Here's hoping he remembers. :)

I don't wanna say anything about an Emperor song during Ihsahn's set, for fear of jinxing something, but.... :heh: