OPETH Frontman To Guest On New IHSAHN Album

i suck? for asking a question? what a prick.

i guess after having been burned for having my own opinions on this board or information that others already had known for so long, i've become slightly jaded. the comment was my fishing for something that obviously wasn't there.
anyways, sorry for the attitude, and glad i could actually find something out about opeth that everybody didn't already know.

They are kindred spirits in many respects. Ihsahn's been wanting to work with Mike for a long while, and respect goes both ways. The song is, in fact, incredible!

Again with this... Jealous, but thanks for sharing. Anything else you can add? For instance, does he sing on the entire song, or is it just in isolated parts?

I love the Peccatum albums (especially Lost In Reverie - FANTASTIC album :kickass:), but I'm having trouble getting into The Adversary. I can't figure out what it is I don't like about it. :erk: It's well done, but it just doesn't hold my interest...

Anyway, I'm looking forward to hearing Mike's contribution to this album. Ihsahn is a fantastic musician, so I'll continue to support his work, regardless of how I feel about The Adversary.

http://www.fourteeng.net/opeth.html
Erika: But you guys had a record deal without even cutting a demo, is that correct?

Mikael: Yeah, because our first label was UK based label called Candlelight Records, still running you know. [I agree] And at the time we didn’t have any demos or anything but we recorded rehearsal tapes. And there was a band on Candlelight records called Emperor, they had a few albums. The guitar player made compilation tapes of unsigned bands that he found good, ya know. He squeezed in ten seconds of an Opeth rehearsal tape just at the end of the tape and we were the only band from that cassette tape who got signed. [Chuckles]
of course, the way he answered the question, he could've been referring to samoth, but i do believe it was ihsahn in this case.
plus, if you look at the credits in orchid, they give special thanks to ihsahn.

i taped one recording at opeth's rehearsal and along with some earlier ones i sent all of them to samoth, he made comps and included a bit of opeth and got mr lee barett from candlelight interested. its really cool how a band got signed without making a demo. musical talent and quality über allez.

Me and my mate were talking about dream collaborations within metal, this was one of my top. Was already pumped for Angl, now I'm pretty goddamn excited. I had read/heard around they were friends and fans of each others work, a week before this was announced, i checked Ihsahn's myspace for Angl news and I saw Mike was added to Ihsahn's top friend on his myspace; got my thinking hopefully thats the "friend" Mike said he was to be doing vocals for. Far out Ihsahn is pulling out the big guns for guests for his solo work, Garm now Mike, cant find much better guests imo.

Again with this... Jealous, but thanks for sharing. Anything else you can add? For instance, does he sing on the entire song, or is it just in isolated parts?

Sorry... Missed this. Mike opens the song with clean vocals. Then they trade off growls and screams. Then Mike goes back into clean vocals. Definitely a heart-stopper!

Yes, Ihsahn himself explains it here:

Working with Mikael (Akerfeldt), “Mikael and I go back as friends since the early nineties. We met up when Emperor headlined Wacken in 2006 and had a great time watching bands together. We talked then about doing something together at some point and in spite of busy schedules on both sides this luckily came to happen. Rough mixes of “Unhealer” with lyrics were sent to Mikael with the idea for both clean and growl vocals. He worked on it during his off-time recording the new Opeth album. I could not be any happier with the results.”

Btw, the cover artwork:

angl_cover.jpg

Awesome, can't wait for this. The Adversary was amazing, Ihsahn is a very talented man.

Jeez this is just as awesome as the "supergroup" lineup for Scariot's "Momentum Shift" (Oyvind from Spiral Architect on vox, Daniel Olaisen - ex-Satyricon Blood Red Throne on guitar, Asgeir Mickelson from Spiral Architect, Vintersorg and Borknagar on drums, Steve DiGiorgio - [no need to mention bands!] on bass and Lars Norberg also from Spiral Architect playing bass on the Death cover Symbolic). If you haven't yet got Momentum Shift, get it NOW - it was the most overlooked progressive metal album of 2007 imo.

Back to the topic...
Those who know who's gonna be in AngL will already know both Lars Norberg and Asgeir Mickelson are on the team, and couple this with the legends Ihsahn and Mike Akerfeldt on one track, and this album will be a progressive black metal wet dream, dammit!!! Lets just hope the bass drum isn't as clicky as it was on the Adversary - USUALLY Asgeir's bass drum samples are awesome.