OPETH Frontman To Guest On New IHSAHN Album

Oct 23, 2006
Québec City, Québec, Canada
OPETH frontman Mikael Åkerfeldt has recorded a guest appearance on the track "Unhealer" from the forthcoming solo album from former EMPEROR vocalist/guitarist Ihsahn, entitled "angL".

Commented Ihsahn: "We've been talking about doing something for a while and I'm really happy it finally came together. Needless to say, Mikael's performance is nothing short of amazing!"

Asgeir Mickelson and Lars Norberg (both of SPIRAL ARCHITECT) were responsible for laying down the drum and bass tracks on the CD, respectively. Ihsahn said, "Asgeir and Lars have delivered a rock-solid foundation for the whole album. Pounding blast-beats to slow fretless passages are all performed with great precision."

"angL" is tentatively due mid-spring via Mnemosyne Productions/Candlelight Records.

Ihsahn previously described the musical direction of the new CD as "a natural progression from 'The Adversary' [2006], but with a somewhat heavier touch."

From Blabbermouth

WOw...unexpected. Can't Wait!

Wow great news! Ihsahn and Mikael! I wonder why i´ve never thought of that combination before. This must really be a good time for Mikael btw,lots of suff happening right now. :)

^ Indeed. The Adversary was an awesome album, can't wait for what he will do next. By the looks of it (Mikael's guest vocals and the guys from Spiral Architect doing bass and drums) it is going to be GOOD.

Another release to look forward to this year.

kewlios....!!!......exciting teimes...a new CD...a coupel fo coolaborations....thats some sawesome stuff to look forward to...!!!....PEAC EOUT

Brilliant news! Didn't Mike mention some collaboration that he wasn't sure he could mention? .. Could this be it?

Don't care too much actually. Just looking forward to the album!

As soon as Mike mentioned a collaboration with an artist who was recording his solo album at that time I though about Ihsahn, so, to be honest, it's not really a big surprise to me. I had been told that Ihsahn was going to have a very special collaboration on this new album, and it had to be Mike! If fact, I wrote this long time ago in my website's forum.
It's really great to see two of the greatest musicians from the extreme metal scene working together. Can't wait to hear the results!

Ihsahn hasn't had a solid album since 1997 IMHO. Can't see something called "angL" changing the trend. Still he has his moments I suppose, and I'm looking forward to this track.

This is quite weird news to me although i guess it's good thing,would'nt have seemed possible ten years ago but i suppose guys like Akerfeldt and Ihsahn would make a pretty penny from their names alone nowadays,Metal truly must be a money spinner these days,by the way it could actually be a good album

Nice. Didn't know there was a new Ihsahn album coming up ... liked the Adversary although it had its weak moments I think, so hopefully this will top it.

I'd love to hear what Mike has to say about this. Seems like they're sort of from different worlds of metal in some ways. And what about Rob Halford? I wonder if he'll be able to get his wish and work with Ihsahn.