I'm-broken riff from "The Ocean"?

Sybelius

New Metal Member
Sep 30, 2015
Hello,
I'm a great Pantera fan, and watching youtube videos about this great band, I read some comments posted by youtubers flagging up the similarity between some Pantera riffs and other bands ones.

I'm quite new to this forum, and I apologize for such opening topic. I'm really searching for some answers, regarding the embarassing similarity between Pantera's I'm broken (1994)song riff and Led zeppelin's The Ocean (1973) riff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-V8kYT1pvE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2CZhzjOXMQ

Was it casual? Was it intentional?
I've read some books about Pantera members biographies, and I've searched the internet a lot hoping for some answer, but I haven't found anything about that.
I really hope someone will be able to answer my question.
Thank you

Led Zeppelin was known to take riffs from blues greats so I would say it's probably not coincidence. Love the band regardless.

Musicians copy from other musicians all the time.

All music is the product of musical-borrowing in one way or another and to greater and lesser degrees whether intentional or not. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

All music is the product of musical-borrowing in one way or another and to greater and lesser degrees whether intentional or not. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I can agree on that, but I am asking if there is really someone so expert in Pantera biography to be able to answer my question.

I wouldn't even have guessed that it was directly inspired by 'The Ocean', let alone 'stolen'. Sounds more sludge or doom or anything heavy and pentatonicy to me.

I wouldn't even have guessed that it was directly inspired by 'The Ocean', let alone 'stolen'. Sounds more sludge or doom or anything heavy and pentatonicy to me.

Well, the first riff is almost the same!
Listen, for me Pantera was a very special band, and that song was my favourite song among every other from Pantera and other Metal-Rock-pop-jazz-whaterverelse genre band. That's why I'm so concerned about its originality.

I really don't think they're too similar. Countless rock and metal bands use that 5h7 stuff. Everyone from Zeppelin to Maiden to Metallica and In Flames. I guess partly because of the blues roots of rock/metal and partly because when you're in a standard tuning it's easy. It just sounds (and, playing it, feels) like something he'd have come up with whilst messing around.

Originality is overrated, anyway.

I really don't think they're too similar. Countless rock and metal bands use that 5h7 stuff. Everyone from Zeppelin to Maiden to Metallica and In Flames. I guess partly because of the blues roots of rock/metal and partly because when you're in a standard tuning it's easy. It just sounds (and, playing it, feels) like something he'd have come up with whilst messing around.

Originality is overrated, anyway.
What you said is really interesting! Could you show me some examples of blues or rock songs which used that riff?
:kickass:

Dimebag Darrell was a hair metal guitarist, but did he have a led zeppelin cd, probably, who hasn't heard Led Zeppelin.

What you said is really interesting! Could you show me some examples of blues or rock songs which used that riff?
:kickass:

I'm fairly certain The Ocean is the only song to use the riff with that exact phrasing. I never even got the connection until you mentioned it. It isn't even the whole lick/riff. It's only the first part.