The Dune Riff

The Seeker

Jan 8, 2006
WA
www.myspace.com
Has anyone else noticed that one of the epic riffs in The Moor sounds very similar to the main title from the 1984 "Dune" flick (directed by David Lynch)?

I wish I actually had a side-by-side comparison file to share, but that would require resources I currently don't have here at work :)

Here's a link to a YouTube "remasted" trailer that features the music @ about the :40 second mark:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Np9zFPzcNug&mode=related&search=

The riff I'm talking about first appears at 5:58 in The Moor as a clean section, then builds into a distorted, epic riff with double bass and voclas.

Coincidence, or was the riff inspired by the movie theme?

Hmmm. Yeah, there's a similarity. I'd chalk it up to coincidence, but who knows with Mike. Not sure if he's a Dune fan. If this was about a Maiden riff, then I'd have no doubt. Did ya know that Frank Herbert wouldn't give them permission to call "To Tame a Land" Dune? He didn't like their music apparently. But Toto was okay for the soundtrack to the movie...

Sounds extremely like every single other crappy "UH OH HERE COMES SOME SERIOUS SHIT" theme ever written for a bad scifi/fantasy movie and thus the moor comparison is pretty undeserved despite it being very roughly similar.

Did ya know that Frank Herbert wouldn't give them permission to call "To Tame a Land" Dune? He didn't like their music apparently. But Toto was okay for the soundtrack to the movie...

No, I didn't know that. Interesting. I didn't realize that it was required (per copyright) to have the author's/publisher's permission to interpret literature into lyrics and music. I could see there being an issue if a band called "Dune" wrote an entire album based on the Dune series, but just one song on an album? That's rough.

Wasn't "Stranger in a Strange Land" based on a Sci Fi novel as well?

Sounds extremely like every single other crappy "UH OH HERE COMES SOME SERIOUS SHIT" theme ever written for a bad scifi/fantasy movie and thus the moor comparison is pretty undeserved despite it being very roughly similar.

Hahaha! That was actually very funny.

The reason I brought it up is because I thought of Dune the first time I heard that riff in The Moor. My dad took me to see that movie when I was 9 years old... It had a huge impact on me back then.

No, I didn't know that. Interesting. I didn't realize that it was required (per copyright) to have the author's/publisher's permission to interpret literature into lyrics and music. I could see there being an issue if a band called "Dune" wrote an entire album based on the Dune series, but just one song on an album? That's rough.

Wasn't "Stranger in a Strange Land" based on a Sci Fi novel as well?

You don't need permission, actually. But Steve Harris was just trying to be nice and honor the guy, and in the end, felt rejected.

SIASL only gets the title from a Robert A. Heinlein novel. The two have nothing else in common.

Iron Maiden write songs "inspired" by the works of others very frequently. I was going to post a list, but it seemed way off topic for this thread.

I think soundave should go ahead and post the list, considering this thread is a rehash anyway. BTW, thanks to all for pointing that out, it was interesting to read the old thread. I just didn't think to search for an old topic.

I tend to a 6 month-old and a nearly 3 year old all day. I have some time. Besides, it's easy to go through the albums. I may miss a few things, but here goes...

Iron Maiden song sources:

Phantom of the Opera (book, movie)
Ides of March (from Julius Caesar)
Murders in the Rue Morgue (sort of from the Poe story)
Twilight Zone (in title only, TV show)
Children of the Damned (movie)
The Prisoner (TV show)
Where Eagles Dare (movie)
Flight of Icarus (mythology)
The Trooper (rom the Tennyson poem Charge of the Light Brigade)
Still Life (from short story Genius Loci by Alistair MacLean)
Quest For Fire (movie)
Sun and Steel (from Book of the Five Rings)
To Tame a Land (Dune)
Back in the Village (The Prisoner)
Rime of the Ancient Mariner (Colerige poem)
Heaven Can Wait (movie, but I'm pretty sure the song isn't really inspired by it!)
The Lonelines of the Long Distance Runner (movie)
Stranger in a Strange Land (Heinlein novel in title only)
Run Silent Run Deep (movie)
Childhood's End (Arthur C. Clarke novel)
The Fugitive (TV show, movie)
Sign of the Cross (Ecco novel Name of the Rose?)
Lord of the Flies (Golding novel, movies)
Man on the Edge (movie Falling Down)
The Clansman (Harry says it's not, but seriously... Braveheart)
The Wicker Man (movie)
Brave New World (loosely on the Huxley novel)
Out of the Silent Planet (CS Lewis novel, loosely)
Dance of Death (Spinal Tap.... :erk:)
Age of Innocence (novel, movie in title only)

They also have some historical ones, like Alexander the Great, Genghis Khan (in title only, as it's an instrumental!), Paschendale, Montsegur, etc.

Anyone else have any to add that I'm not aware of? Any disagreement?

Dance of Death (Spinal Tap.... :erk:)
:lol: Glad I'm not the only one who thinks so.

Also:
the Fallen Angel (Fallen, Denzel Washinton film)
Die With Your Boots On (never actually seen it, it's a black and white war film)
Edge of Darkness (Apocalypse Now)
Seventh Son of a Seventh Son (Orson Scott Card novel. Or so I've been told)
I'm sure there are still more though.

I tend to a 6 month-old and a nearly 3 year old all day.

Wow, props to you. I know that's tough work. I have a 4 month old and am able to work from home (with baby) Fridays. It can be quite challenging.

Nice list, BTW!

Oh, and Khayman666, I believe the Seventh Son of a Seventh Son album is based on the Alvin Maker series by Orson Scott Card. I haven't read them yet, but a friend did and said they're quite good.

:lol: Glad I'm not the only one who thinks so.

Also:
the Fallen Angel (Fallen, Denzel Washinton film)
Die With Your Boots On (never actually seen it, it's a black and white war film)
Edge of Darkness (Apocalypse Now)
Seventh Son of a Seventh Son (Orson Scott Card novel. Or so I've been told)
I'm sure there are still more though.

Nice. Forgot about "Fallen". Good flick.
I'm weak on Blayze stuf. I can't stand his voice, but some good songs. Ashamed to admit I don't know EOD.
Forgot about Alvin Maker. My stepmother is a huge fan, actually. She's been saying I should read it for years, and at one point I heard it was the basis of SSOASS.

Kind of peculiar that they look outside for inspiration so much. I remember as a kid convincing my parents that it was okay to listen to them because they basically sang about literature and mythology... I think I used Flight of Icarus and Rime of the Ancient Mariner as my evidence. They were amazed that the guys who played that music and had album covers like they did knew anything about... well, anything. They agreed that if Maiden came by, I could go to see them. But I always ended up missing them. Didn't see them until the "give Me 'Ed" tour...

I think Mikael listened to "Midnight Mushrumps" by the old progrock band Gryphon when he wrote the intro to The Moor, or more specifically the track "Gulland Rock". Look it up, the resemblance is striking.

dance of death:
Holbein-death.png