The Moor / Dune similarities

has anyone noticed the similiarity between the first track on genesis' foxtrot and the first track on enslaved's blodhemn?

What makes you think the film should have anything to do with the book? Or, for that matter, is trying to add anything?

edit: i don't know why i called it 'great'. it isn't. but i don't think it's a horrendous interpretation - it follows the book about as accurately as a film can

What makes you think the film should have anything to do with the book? Or, for that matter, is trying to add anything?

edit: i don't know why i called it 'great'. it isn't. but i don't think it's a horrendous interpretation - it follows the book about as accurately as a film can

Because it's the same basic story as the book? The whole sound as a weapon thing is completely added by Lynch and struck me as silly.

From Wikipedia:
Departures from the novel
The film makes departures from the novel, most notably in the case of the Weirding Way, which in the novel is a super-martial art form that allows Paul Atreides to move with lightning speed (and is properly termed "prana-bindu training"). In the film it is replaced with "Weirding Modules," sonic weapons that resemble small video cameras and amplify the user's voice into a destructive force. At the time of release, this was controversial among Dune fans.[17][18] Reportedly, the original technique was left out because it was thought that a pitched combat of Fremen fighting Sardaukar while using the book's Weirding Way would resemble an unsophisticated kung-fu film; additionally, the Weirding Modules provided an opportunity for the use of special effects. This change literalized a moment in the novel in which Paul says his name had become a death-prayer, as the Fremen shout "Muad'dib!" before killing an opponent. In the film, a Fremen training with the weirding module says "Muad'dib" and accidentally destroys a ceiling leading Paul to make the remark "my name is a killing word."

It's sad to say it, but while not nearly as artsy, the SF Channel version slays the Lynch version. Granted, it could be longer as a miniseries. As a fan of the book, I highly prefer the newer version. But I'm a total geek about it, and hard to please. I usually like Lynch's work, but even he has distanced himself from this movie. I heard that he takes an Alan Smithee credit in some cuts, which is never a good sign.

The Brian Eno score is cool, but the Toto stuff is kind of silly.

Ok, fair enough. I guess you can't do the book justice in a feature length film. But standing alone from the book, I though it was good.
Haven't seen the miniseries. I don't really like a lot of Lynch's stuff. He's just a bad director/screenwriter in general. It just seems like he intentionally makes his stuff incomprehensible, which isn't cool. He should stick to writing and hand his stuff over to other people to make films.

David Lynch can be amazing. BLue Velvet and especially Mulholland Drive I would actually call great movies (not like, all-time classics or anything but they're really damn good). As for the complaint "he tries to make things incomprehensible," he does do that in a few of his movies, but in the case of Mulholland Drive it makes the movie all the more interesting as it's both open to interpretations and able to be viewed as a dreamy, ambiguous movie with a plot to match. If you require your movies to have concrete plots then sure, hate it, I view it as sort of like abstract art - why should I have to justify why I like it just cause I don't know what it's about and no one else can do better besides offer interpretations?

His adaptation of Dune, however, is rightly considered one of the worst sci-fi movies of the 80s, as well as his worst film. Even HE says he hates it. It's a huge mess, and I really don't see why they assigned the project to him...I guess just cause the Elephant Man had been successful at about the same time they were looking for directors.

elephant man is one of the most akward fucked up films ive ever seen. no other movie has ever made me feel like that. then of course reading more into it I realized I didn't even get it at all, but its still really cool.

also love mulholland drive, although there was still a lot I missed.

I really need to check out his new one and some others I missed (really need to get twin peaks soon).

i didnt even know he did dune, weird.

David Lynch can be amazing. BLue Velvet and especially Mulholland Drive I would actually call great movies (not like, all-time classics or anything but they're really damn good). As for the complaint "he tries to make things incomprehensible," he does do that in a few of his movies, but in the case of Mulholland Drive it makes the movie all the more interesting as it's both open to interpretations and able to be viewed as a dreamy, ambiguous movie with a plot to match. If you require your movies to have concrete plots then sure, hate it, I view it as sort of like abstract art - why should I have to justify why I like it just cause I don't know what it's about and no one else can do better besides offer interpretations?

His adaptation of Dune, however, is rightly considered one of the worst sci-fi movies of the 80s, as well as his worst film. Even HE says he hates it. It's a huge mess, and I really don't see why they assigned the project to him...I guess just cause the Elephant Man had been successful at about the same time they were looking for directors.

Blue Velvet was definitely not a great movie, I thought the plot went nowhere. Mulholland was slightly better. I don't see what was so great about the Elephant Man. Yeah, it was sad, but that wasn't due to Lynch it was just good acting. He could have made it far more interesting than just saying "hey, here's a freak, let's show how shit his life was and cry". And have you seen Lost Highway? What a piece of garbage. Still, I liked Dune, the story was told in a very literal way with little emotion. I don't see why it is a 'mess', anyone who has read the book or seen the film more than once will understand it.

I agree with hibernal dream. The movie was acceptable as long as you don't know the book. The book is one of my all time favourites for sure. The similarities in the music were pretty interesting though. Both are great pieces of music though

whats wrong with lost highway? my fave movie by him. zizek has written a interpretation about him with the aid of lacan's philosophy.

Well, nothing per se, but I believe films are written to be watched. I'll be damned if anyone can attach a meaning to what is happening in that film. I'm glad I didn't pay to see it. About the interpretations: I read somewhere Lynch said no one has interpreted his stuff correctly, yet he refuses to reveal anything.

uhhh so which part is supposed to sound like the moor

the part around 0:40 in the dune trailer and the part 5:58 in the moor.
i dont get why people think it´s that remarkable though,i dont think there´s anything special with that dune piece of music worth ripping of,i think it´s probably just a coinsidence that they sound remotely similar.
of course mikael is now going to confirm that he ripped it of after all,thus making me look like a complete ass:)

@hibernal dream: you simply don't get what lynch does ... so don't bother saying anything more about it.

lost highway is my favourite movie by him as well. mulholland drive I didn't like that much, it was kind a boring and just a repetition of what he already did but directed more towards the big audience perhaps, he definitely wanted to reach a bigger crowd with that one, to say what he wants to say to more people.
inland empire (his latest) was really fucked up though, totally insane and weird. while he was making epic poetry through the medium of film (instead of literature) with lost highway, he's now breaking the boundaries at all. it makes me think more about postmodern painting through film. but I don't really have an opinion about it yet, have to see it again first. it was really insane actually to watch it in this old movie theatre starting at midnight ... walking in the deserted city afterwards was a strange experience.

but this might all sound very stupid to most of you :p I don't care, just want to point out that you can't criticize what you don't understand or know.

@hibernal dream: you simply don't get what lynch does ... so don't bother saying anything more about it.

lost highway is my favourite movie by him as well. mulholland drive I didn't like that much, it was kind a boring and just a repetition of what he already did but directed more towards the big audience perhaps, he definitely wanted to reach a bigger crowd with that one, to say what he wants to say to more people.
inland empire (his latest) was really fucked up though, totally insane and weird. while he was making epic poetry through the medium of film (instead of literature) with lost highway, he's now breaking the boundaries at all. it makes me think more about postmodern painting through film. but I don't really have an opinion about it yet, have to see it again first. it was really insane actually to watch it in this old movie theatre starting at midnight ... walking in the deserted city afterwards was a strange experience.

but this might all sound very stupid to most of you :p I don't care, just want to point out that you can't criticize what you don't understand or know.

:lol:

Sorry to say it, but there's nothing there to understand. It's all style, no substance. This stuff appeals to college students who think it's cool because the plot is actually incomprehensible or there's no plot at all. I know because I used to be one of those people. Unless of course you care to offer a detailed explanation of the 'epic poetry' of lost highway which my vastly inferior brain can't possibly comprehend.

But no, you can't. That's what I thought.