riff similarity: patterns in the ivy 2 (opeth) / lunar sea (camel)

iosys

New Metal Member
Sep 20, 2007
California
www.iosys.org
Here's a riff I found similar between the two songs. I am not trying to say X ripped off Y, but this is like a little treasure I discovered that made me appreciate both songs a bit more.

Opeth - Blackwater Park - Patterns In The Ivy II (3:17)
Camel - Moonmadness - Lunar Sea (6:47)

camel_opeth.mp3

I realize this happens often in music. Actually, I believe this is part of what music is about: becoming inspired, manipulating what you like into what you might imagine it to be, and then expressing it so others can also appreciate it. Of course there's a time when creativity flows right out of you and reveals something brand new, but there's also a time when you feel like every melody has already been used by someone else. Most musicians are probably a balance between these two extremes.

I've been a hobbyist musician myself for 8 years making music using my computer, mostly dark stuff, and recently bought an electric guitar because I wanted to learn Opeth and apply that experience to my own music. I know a lot of the music I make is partly inspired by other melodies and songs that reside in my memory. Without those memories, there might not be any engine by which to create music.

:kickass: