patterns in the ivy I and II

Sexi Alexi 94

Oct 10, 2006
i never see them talked about much here, but they are both so beautiful as songs. i cant explain the feeling but i have never heard any song or anything that has made me feel amazed by it.

sorry if this seems like a weird thread but they seem to be some of the best opeth songs...i wonder why patterns in the ivy II was only a bonus song and not on blackwater park?

one last thing, do you think theyd ever play either song live? since per is in the band now?

The first one is ok...not much different from their other acoustic instrumentals. The second one is awesome though.

Well the recording quality of the two acoustic songs is pretty bad. I'm assuming Mikael wrote those songs after BWP was released exclusively for a bonus disc.

I is actually one of the easiest Opeth songs to play. Theres not a whole lot to it, but the mix of the guitar and the piano is what makes it sound so genuis IMO. Can someone please post a link to somewhere that has II. I bought the original version of Black Water Park as soon as it came out so I dont have the special edition with the bonus tracks. Id love to hear the song though. Thanks

Holy shit. I just heard the second Patterns in the Ivy off youtube, that song is fucking awesome!

II is very pretty but Patterns I is one of my favorite Opeth tracks, period.

When the deluxe BWP came out I was hoping that Patterns II would be a much longer (and all-instrumental) expansion of the first one. :(

I've never been able to find many other bands that do just the piano+guitar lullabies like that, no vocals either. Yeah a lot of people throw around Tenhi, Ulver's Kveldsfanger, guitar-only interstitials on At the Gates, Dissection, Dawn, etc etc, but those don't hit the mark.

closest music I've found to matching Pattern I's mood are some of Chopin's Nocturnes.