Patterns In The Ivy 2

I like it. I think many people dont like it because they compare the song too much with the real one. Åkerfeldt sings alot better. But I like it. You should work a little more with vocals. But its really nice.

Hmm... too quiet, not very advanced.
I'd like you to growl. Do not go up in the high notes. Do not use any filter/distortion/whatever for the voice.
Very calming song.

\alive said:
Hmm... too quiet, not very advanced.
I'd like you to growl. Do not go up in the high notes. Do not use any filter/distortion/whatever for the voice.
Very calming song.

Hmmm...I dont know what the hell you are talking about. You want me to growl on this track???? And please elaborat on "not very advanced", what the hell does that mean??? Did you mean to say not very innovative???

To "what album is that one"

its on "Still Day Beneath the Sun" their 7'' vinyl.

Back to the song- the voice has a ton of potential. Work on it and it'll be great. And the instrumentals are fantastic. Good job! I learned this song after the first time I heard it.

I like it :)

Marksveld said:
To "what album is that one"

its on "Still Day Beneath the Sun" their 7'' vinyl.

Back to the song- the voice has a ton of potential. Work on it and it'll be great. And the instrumentals are fantastic. Good job! I learned this song after the first time I heard it.

I like it :)
Thanks a lot man, I really appreciate it. Well guys, looks like Ill have enough money for a new acoustic guitar by this next saturday, so I will definitely re-record this song with hopefully "better" vocals, and non out of tune electric guitars.

Thanks for everyone's input again, it means a lot, especially those that supported the cover for what it is.

I would say...you dont have to sing that high for the "one moonlit shadow" part...try singing it an octave lower...i think that could sound cool. er...maybe not...i cant really think what it would sound like...either way, that high pitched part isnt working for you. the rest is good.

Leper_/-\ffinity said:
Hmmm...I dont know what the hell you are talking about. You want me to growl on this track???? And please elaborat on "not very advanced", what the hell does that mean??? Did you mean to say not very innovative???
Sorry, i should have been more clear. The problem is that i have no musical background, so i do not know the insider-terms of all the stuff that i want to say.
What im saying, is the the guitarplay, isnt very "hard" to play, ie its not very hard to ... listen to. Its simple.
I do not want you to growl on this track, i recommend you to growl some more so that you can modify your voice a little (ie sing from your stomach instead of from the top of your lounges).

Do not use any modifications to your voice. At some points it sounds like you use an echo-effect for the voice.

Now, please do not flame a newb who only knows what he likes when he listens to it, without knowing the technical aspects.

No it's alright, you didn't need to go into technical aspects, it's just that it was unclear in general, but now I see what you are saying. Actually, the guitar parts aren't as easy as they sound, mainly because of the fingerpicking, but I understand what you mean.

Leper_/-\ffinity said:
Hey guys and gals, Ive been doing lots of acoustic folk playing, and writing some songs, but in terms of recording, decided to start with a cover of Patterns In The Ivy 2, to get a feel of my voice, to see if I can sing at all, so here it is, at my new dmusic site, please take a listen and comment, thanks!!

Click Me For The Song

You know what, after reading some of the responses before I listened to this, I expected it to be bad. My expectations were wrong. It's not bad at all, and I think it's actually a good job! You are certainly NOT tone deaf, as you are in tune. That's the first step in singing. Now it's just voice control, and that comes with practice, so keep singing, and in a few months, you'll improve even more. Very nice job!

I think you have done well, the guitar is superb and you have set yourself a hard task by trying to emulate Akerfeldt. I have never heard patterns 2. I hear it is now on a re-issue of BWP, which i do not have.

In order to emulate Akerfeldt you will have to practice his honeyed voice. this will take time, but you do indeed have potential.

well done :)

Novembers Paul said:
You know what, after reading some of the responses before I listened to this, I expected it to be bad. My expectations were wrong. It's not bad at all, and I think it's actually a good job! You are certainly NOT tone deaf, as you are in tune. That's the first step in singing. Now it's just voice control, and that comes with practice, so keep singing, and in a few months, you'll improve even more. Very nice job!

Yeah, I guess the main thing about it is that I posted it in the Opeth forums, where there aren't as many musicians as music listeners, so many people expect it to be as good as Mikael's singing, but Ive noticed that musicians and people who have never heard the song actually enjoyed it, because they know that's it's not east sometimes to cover a song. Also, this was my FIRST real attempt at singing a cover tune, so I hope to improve, and IM getting a new acoustic this weekend!!!!! YAY!!!!! SO I will re-record this song from scratch, since this was on a hundred dollar piece of crap Fender acoustic(came in a beginnner's pack, my first guitar actually) and it was very hard to play.

Thanks again to everyone who didn't just say "It sucks!" with no reasoning behind it, and thanks for all of the encouragment, it means a lot, especially since Opeth fans can be very critical.