I'm Getting a guitar! Please help me choose equipment

Canned Leech

Why am i so awesome?
Jul 30, 2001
New Jersey
Visit site
My parents have finally decided to let me get a guitar, kind of like a going away to college present/birthday present thing. Unfortunately, i know close to nothing about guitars and amps. Ive done a little bit of talking to guitarist friends and online searching, but im still not sure what i want to get. Right now, im thinking of getting a Standard Fender Stratocaster. I can get it for $350 at some online stores, free shipping. For an amp, i have no clue what to get, but i hope to get something within $150. Im not going to be in a band or anything, i just want to play on my own for my own enjoyment. however, i dont want to get a crappy guitar that ill replace in a year or two; i want one that ill stick to for a while. Stuff i want to play include Opeth-esque riffs/solos, In flames instrumentals, and Spastic Ink style pieces. I know itll take me a while before i ever get that good, but hey its something to aim for. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! thanks

Yeah...that sounds good. I personally really don't like the way a strat feels...I'm more of a Gibson model type guy. Not to say that you won't...a lot of people love the strat. But I would recommend trying lots of guitars at a local store (even if that's not where you're going to buy) just to see how you like the feel in your hands. Even if you can't play anything, having your hands on the frets can still give you a good idea.

Yeah, any small practice amp like a Crate should be good. And if you end up liking the Strat, then go for it!

I agree with Nugent... my first guit was a Fender Strat, but I disliked it so I traded it for an Epiphone Les Paul, which to me is a great guitar. I say check out the gibson-style guitars instead, they are more comfortable to play.
As far as amps go, just pick a cheap one to begin with. No need to get loads of watts and power just for playing at home. Make sure you get a good dist pedal or similar if you want to play metal. Most amps that come with built-in distortion possibilities (like the Marshall Valvestate) doesn't sound too good (IMO).

Dude!

Great that you want to play guitar.. but I'm planning on going to college for music and I am very serious about it.. and..

SPASTIC INK IS HARD!! Heh....

I would have to work my ass off to play those songs.. just to leran them would be a bitch.

Brandon

P.S. Check out ESP for lower priced reasonable metal guitars and new Ibanezs have new trems so check out maybe an RG320.

yeah, i know ill probably never be able to pull of spastic ink, but i can always try :) ive wanted to play guitar for many years now, and im so happy i can finally get one

For $750 Canadian I got my Crate DXB 112 amp and a yamaha EG 112 guitar. That worked well, and now I've upgraded to a B.C. rich beast guitar, which only cost me $573 CDN. American the amp should cost maybe $350 or $400, and the b.c. rich beast (which is the best guitar I've ever played) would be maybe $300

Go for a MusicYo.com neckthru Kramer, and use the extra to get it set up, and maybe even have some new pickups thrown in.

Their $200+/- Barrettas are great guitars once their set up, and great for metal, and they're 24 frets.... :devil:

As far as guitars go... the best one I've ever played is an Ibanez RG320... awesome look, SUPERB FEEL... the neck is so slim, there is no effort to wrap your hand around the fretboard... although I guess starting with an Epiphone like the one in my avatar isn't too bad... but I'd go for the Ibanez.

As far as amps go... well really you can get just about anything, it really depends how loud you're looking to play and what kind of output you want... currently I'm using a Marshall Valvestate 8080 and that can give GREAT Opeth/In Flames-esque type tone if you use it with the right guitar.

Hope that helped... happy hunting! :)

EDIT: On my Epiphone, the neck has been failing me lately... it's bent and the spacing on the strings towards the higher frets is huge, and the tone licks balls... so I'm not sure if all Epiphones are made using cheap wood, but mine seems to be. As I said I'd check out the RG320 if I were you (actually if I were me, which I am, I'm still gonna check out that RG320 that I played... I want it soo bad, haha).

you can only wish brooks. I played my first tom anderson guitar about 3 weeks ago. I saw it used at a local guitar center and I had to try it out. those are awesome guitars for sure. never heard or even seen a diezel amp though, although I have heard good things but the price tag seems to be a little outlandish... that thing better shatter my bones when I play through it for that price

thanks for the info, i think ill be going to check out some guitars this weekend or asap with my friend's dad who is a guitar fanatic. Now with all the suggestions my selection list has grown from 2-3 to about 10. ahhh!

Originally posted by Moonlapse
EDIT: On my Epiphone, the neck has been failing me lately... it's bent and the spacing on the strings towards the higher frets is huge, and the tone licks balls... so I'm not sure if all Epiphones are made using cheap wood, but mine seems to be. As I said I'd check out the RG320 if I were you (actually if I were me, which I am, I'm still gonna check out that RG320 that I played... I want it soo bad, haha).

check out what i found
http://www.music123.com/Item/?itemno=33484 http://www.music123.com/Item/?itemno=33484

Is that the rg320 you are looking for? 250... maybe i should get that!