Im new and need alot of help!

koalamo

Aug 24, 2009
Hicktown New York.
I'm begining to take an interest in recording music and I've been reading on the forums about amp sims and thought I'd try a few. I had my friend record some dry guitar through my Firewire solo and I tried a bunch of amp sims until I eventually settled on the lecto v 1

My question is how can I improve my guitar tone in general and Also how do I get rid of those annoying noises in between the actual riff? I think I need to gate it but I don't know much about noise gating so I could really use some help. I'm using reaper as my main daw.

Right now my chain is

tss
lecto
reacomp
boogex
reaeq

Please Help :zipit:

https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/the cosslette countdown.mp3?w=5428537e

Try getting an ISP Decimator pedal...
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/...es-Decimator-Noise-Reduction-Pedal?sku=150368

What sort of pickups are you using? I have EMG 81's, and because they're so hot, they pick up everything. When I'm tracking guitars I have to sit far away from anything that can cause them to pickup white-noise -- such as a computer monitor, tv, etc. So when you track your guitars, try not to sit right in front of your amp or computer. That might get rid of any unwanted noise in itself.

But I also use the ISP Decimator whenever I'm running my TS9.

Try getting an ISP Decimator pedal...
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/...es-Decimator-Noise-Reduction-Pedal?sku=150368

What sort of pickups are you using? I have EMG 81's, and because they're so hot, they pick up everything. When I'm tracking guitars I have to sit far away from anything that can cause them to pickup white-noise -- such as a computer monitor, tv, etc. So when you track your guitars, try not to sit right in front of your amp or computer. That might get rid of any unwanted noise in itself.

But I also use the ISP Decimator whenever I'm running my TS9.

Eeeeh I would never EVER use a noise gate pedal when recording DI guitar tracks... If you get strange noises (I actually can´t hear your stuff, Error 403) search for the source and try to get rid of it.

Eeeeh I would never EVER use a noise gate pedal when recording DI guitar tracks... If you get strange noises (I actually can´t hear your stuff, Error 403) search for the source and try to get rid of it.

That was my point -- try and find the source and get rid of it first. But something like a noise gate is still an option if you have no other choice. I never mess with DI's or reamping... so thats why I use an ISP.
Edit: Plus, he never mentioned he was doing DI's for reamping.

Thanks for the suggestions guys and yeah I'm definitely not doing anything as complex as reamping yet, I was just messing with some amp sims. Idk why its not hosting, but ill reup it once I get home, the noise isn't white noise or anything I think my friend just taped another string and it picked it up alitle, I know I could just re record that part but I was just assuming there must be away to remove it I just know nothing about noise gates and how they work.