Im out from Amaran...

Newflesh

Amaran
Mar 25, 2002
Stockholm, Sweden
www.amaran.net
I have decided to leave Amaran to devote my energy into my new band 'Sibliance' - www.sibliance.net

I not not leaving Amaran because of any personal indifferences... Amaran has just been working poorly lately which has made me frustrated. I can removed it by stepping down. Furthemore I haven't been satisfied what so ever about the situation with Listenable (I guess that's the bigges issue)...

I wish the Amaran guys all the best and all the best of luck!!!

Why couldn't you guys play at the Danish Katatonia gig. The other band they had instaed didn't fit in at all...like you guys would have

It's a shame to see you go, but if you weren't happy, it's probably the right move for you. Good luck with Sibliance. The demos sound promising, but it'll live or die by the vocals. Let's hope Amaran can continue without you.

=( :(

kari, you were the heart of amaran. it's really sad that things couldn't work out. it's hard to see you go. best wishes in Sibliance.
*sigh* i just discovered amaran earlier this year, and i was so excited about you guys. i know talent when i hear it. i was really hoping to see you guys blossom into a huge success that you all deserve..

what does this spell for the rest of amaran? i'm worried..

Heart and soul of the band ... heh ...

I have nothing against Kari, and am a big fan of the songs he helped create in Amaran. But honestly, I think most people listen to Amaran because they are doing something that hasn't been before (the whole thrashy music thing with a clean, clear, bold, female vocalist). Not to say there hasn't been thrashy bands in the past with female vocalists ... Znowhite, Detente, Messiah Force ... but Znowhite and Detente featured females that didn't necessarily scream ... but they yelled at you (and Messiah Force isn't really thrashy as it is strictly 80's speed metal) ... so I haven't been able to find a band that sounds quite like this one, and I'm always looking. So basically, Amaran is wonderful, and I don't think that I'd be assuming too much when I'd say the reason people listen to Amaran is because of the contrast of Johanna's voice meeting the harsh guitars. That's what I like ... the music isn't slow, there's basically no keyboards ... what metal should be. Amaran, musically, was not doing anything new, and the sole thing that makes Amaran sound different is yes... Johanna. And as long as Johanna is in the band, and Amaran countinues to play musically harsh music, I don't think there will be too many people afraid to buy whatever else Amaran comes up with just because Kari is gone. If Chris Poland can be replaced by Marty Friedman, then out there is another guitarist just as gifted for this band. And to say that Kari leaving takes the heart and soul out of the band, that must be awfully discouraging to those that remain. He's a great guitarist ... and songs like "Coming Home" take my breath away ... but he's just that, a guitarist. You can replace any musician except the singer in a band and sound okay ... unless we're talking a protege ... (If Tom Morello had left RATM, and they tried to continue without him, or Steve Harris left Iron Maiden, and they tried to continue without him, though Maiden records from that point on wouldn't contain the signature Harris bass style). My point is, he does well on guitar, but he's not Joey Satriani or Yngwie Malmsteen or anything ... and while he may be a key songwriter as well ... come on ... there are always just as gifted and more gifted ones out there, some with their own songs that would fit this style just great ready to go.

To the rest of Amaran -- I don't know why the old drummer left, but I can understand this man's desire to leave out of the sheer frustration he claims to be having, but that doesn't mean it's time to split up. You have a great thing going musically, and you shouldn't split up only for some other band to catch on, and make it big on your signature formula. Plenty of bands, including my own, go through difficult times, but it's just part of life and part of being in a band. People will leave, it's no real big deal. I of course know that I probably don't even need to tell you this, but supportive statements to you guys seem to be rather limited on this topic. So I beg, please do not split up because you've encountered turbulence, if you can make it through, you'll only be a better, and more tightly knit band because of it. In today's lack of originality in music, you guys are GREAT standouts :worship:

Sorry to see you go Kari. And to celldweller: I'd like to see the rest of the band write songs as good as Kari did.

Yeah right, umm... I agree with you, celldweller, that Amaran's sound is something really special and that one great thing about it is the combination of high energy metal and melodic vocals that aren't in the typical metal style. BUT it's not "the formula" that makes the band great - it's the songs themselves. I totally love Johanna's vocals, but even without them the songs would kick ass anyway. I mean, they even played some acoustic sets on the tour this winter, when Johanna wasn't able to sing. Combining female vocals with "heavier" music seems to be like a trend these days, but most bands lack the talent to write such good songs.

He's a great guitarist ... and songs like "Coming Home" take my breath away ... but he's just that, a guitarist. You can replace any musician except the singer in a band and sound okay ... unless we're talking a protege ... (If Tom Morello had left RATM, and they tried to continue without him, or Steve Harris left Iron Maiden, and they tried to continue without him, though Maiden records from that point on wouldn't contain the signature Harris bass style).
But this is the case with Amaran as well. Kari's solos are a real trademark for the band because they have their own distinctive vibe.

To the rest of Amaran -- I don't know why the old drummer left, but I can understand this man's desire to leave out of the sheer frustration he claims to be having, but that doesn't mean it's time to split up. You have a great thing going musically, and you shouldn't split up only for some other band to catch on, and make it big on your signature formula.
Again, I think Amaran is/was more than a band which can be defined through something like a "signature formula" - the band got it's own identity from the combination of all member's personal styles. I don't know if you remember when Micke left the band, or if you already were a fan at that time, but even then I thought it really sucked because one integral part of the sound was Micke's bass that you could actually hear and the harmonic and melodic stuff he played. You can't just replace somebody like that with the next random musician you run into. And now it's the same case with Kari.

But it would really suck if the band split up now or something like that. I just hope that the music doesn't suffer. And if it doesn't, that would be especially cool, because we'd have two great bands (Sibliance and Amaran).

I'm glad to hear that! I don't want Amaran to disappear, your music is a pure blend of angst, good lyrics and downright metal! (not to mention a good singer that isn't wailing in the soprano range like all the other bands;) ) :) I always think of Amaran as the female version of Nevermore, although, I know by saying that, many will disagree. Amaran is (as celldweller said) a perfect blend. Keep it that way! :headbang:

And Kari, good luck with your new band :)

Noooooooooo.

Thanks for the killer contributions that you made to the band, Kari. Two albums worth of wonderful material is something to be very proud of. Also many thanks for taking the time to chat with us fans. 'tis very much appreciated and I'm glad to hear that you will continue to be involved in the creation of such spiffy riffage. I'll be sure to follow Sibliance's future endeavors.

Hopefully Amaran will be able to work through this tough time and continue to release grade A material. (Not that I have any doubts, guys ;))

Rock on.