iMac/Hackintosh Guys

digitalmikey

Let's get digital.
Oct 2, 2008
Detroit, MI
www.digitalmikey.com
So here's the skinny. I'm thinking about selling my iMac and building a faster Hackintosh setup for music creation. I remember hearing a few guys say they run the Hackintosh setup and was curious besides price if they ever have any problems or pros and cons of said setup.

I should have about an $800 budget and just want to get the fastest I can possible since my iMac can only be upgraded so much. And for those wondering I'm Logic loyal or else I wouldn't even worry about this.

Any suggestions? :headbang:

wouldn't bother, frankly.

especially if you use the machine for pro work.

I've been running a Hackintosh rig for 18 months now, but it was a computer I had anyway, not a custom build.

It's served me well enough, but its too flaky for me to depend on it moving forward with paid projects. Will be getting a Mac Pro before the end of the year.

Long story short, if your iMac works then you should stick with it.

I built mine 4 months ago. I like it quite a bit. I still have yet to use it on a full session because I am still making the jump from PC to Mac and currently trying to get all the plugins I need before I use it fully. However, FWIW, I like it. I know Thedriller has had one and he helped me when I was debating building one.

I don't know how fast your imac is, so I can't comment on the performance increase, however, it seems like to me that my laptop with windows 7 and reaper is still smoother and quicker and easier. Maybe it's because I have always been a PC guy. We'll see in the near future.

technically speaking, follow Lifehacker's guide. Decently fast computer and no hacking required. Pretty much a standard installation of Snow Leopard. http://lifehacker.com/321913/build-a-hackintosh-mac-for-under-800 That link is the original, and since then, there has been 2 or 3 updates to the installation procedure. As of right now, you have to make a start up disk on a thumb drive from your existing mac and add a zip drive with the prepackaged kernels ready to go, so no hacking required. Just get the exact Motherboard and video card that was used, and you're good to go. I opted for a slower processor (which I really regret right now) and less RAM, but ended up being 4 more gigs a week ago because it seemed too slow. Don't skimp on parts... But that's my opinion.

I'm running a dual monitor setup just fine, fyi if you are worried about that. Pretty much everything works great. My profire 610 is being a fucking bitch right now and I have to figure that out, but other than that, you should be good to go. Any questions, just PM me or maybe thedriller would like to chime in too. He was incredibly helpful when I asked him a few questions.

ps. It isn't "illegal". All building a hackintosh does is breach a contract. So, I suppose it is illegal, but if you go through and purchase a retail copy of snow leopard, that is as legal as you can do it.