PC/Hackintosh Users: Help me out.

I'm no hackintosh expert, but my intuition tells me iBoot is less overwhelming and not very limiting (edit: no hardware compatibility limitations like the Gigabyte thing for Kakewalk). Correct me if I'm wrong.

But my intuition also tells me Kakewalk would give you better performance than iBoot.

Google is our best friend.

Sincerely I don't know...I've never tried iBoot. What I know is the gigabyte mainboards are absolutely amazing so in my opinion it's not a limitation (if you build a system from scratch...Different story if you wanna try to install OSX in an existing pc).

A little update for this thread: I finally built a Hackintosh....

Here's a few pics for everyone and stats are at the bottom

EMPTYCASE.jpg

MOTHERBOARDIN.jpg

CPUIN.jpg

RAMANDVIDEOCARDIN.jpg

BIOS.jpg

OSX1.jpg

MACPRO.jpg

VCCTEST.jpg

So the above test is VCC on 64 channels. Nothing to formal or scientific, but for me it's pretty amazing. My 3 year old macbook pro could run about 24 channels at 75% usage.

System is:

Intel i7 2600k
Gigabyte z68xp-ud4
corsair cx 6000
corsair vengeance ram 16 gigs
Sapphire Radeon 6870HD
128gig SSD (can't remember brand...not ocz)
Benq 24 inch monitor
Coolermaster case

Initial thoughts/issues:

Setup was relatively easy. Used the iboot/megabeast method. Took 3 tries to get it to work, but that was mostly not reading the directions clearly. Once I did it to the letter it worked flawlessly.

Nuendo and all my plugs installed no problem at all. VCC is currently the only plugin I'm having an issue with. Essentially it loads into Neundo Just fine, but it takes like 30 seconds for the plugin to activate. Got a support ticket with Slate already to see if it's the new version of VCC or the hackintosh.

PT is installed but crashes on startup. Havn't really worried too much about this as I intended the machine to be pretty much just for mixing and as of late I havn't touched PT for that. I also havn't even remotely tried to make it work so perhaps that is the next phase.

All and all I'm pretty happy. Total cost was 1591 after tax in canadian dollars. To get a similar (but not the same macpro) would run me around 3500-4000.

UPDATE:

In regards to the VCC issue. I believe it is actually something with the ilok/pace drivers. Despite updating all to the most recent there seems to be an issue with the ilok reading properly on the ports. Shows up, and will EVENTUALLY read a license...but it takes forever. This also explains why PT9 isn't working.

Anyone who is running Pt on a hackintosh ever have this issue. I've read a few fixes but they all seem fairly complicated (for me).

i've been running an i7 hackintosh with gigabyte motherboard since a bit less than a year. used the tonymacx86.com method.
it's been great. using 3 UAD cards. not problem whatsover.

as you long as you buy the right components, just get one of their config maybe tweak it a bit (be careful) and then you're good to go.

it's working great. plenty of power for a reasonable budget.

some people disagree on those methods but there is no way i would ever put 3K in a computer.

UPDATE:

In regards to the VCC issue. I believe it is actually something with the ilok/pace drivers. Despite updating all to the most recent there seems to be an issue with the ilok reading properly on the ports. Shows up, and will EVENTUALLY read a license...but it takes forever. This also explains why PT9 isn't working.

Anyone who is running Pt on a hackintosh ever have this issue. I've read a few fixes but they all seem fairly complicated (for me).

i never experienced any other bugs/problems Pro Tools oriented on my hackintosh than on my macbook. there should not be actually. the software is exactly the same and the cpu you're using is probably to be found in some imacs.

i guess that's possible, but I wouldn't expect any bugs to be hackintosh-related.

Protools/Hackintosh user here and not a single problem/crash in 1 year.
I have only one problem running osx at 64bit....Slate plugins don't authorize themselves during PT startup. But I work in 32 bit.
Do you have problems with ATI card?

Protools/Hackintosh user here and not a single problem/crash in 1 year.
I have only one problem running osx at 64bit....Slate plugins don't authorize themselves during PT startup. But I work in 32 bit.
Do you have problems with ATI card?

not a single crash :) i dont believe that. pro tools crashes everyday on all platforms :Spin:

Just curious what versions you guys are on? I went right to 9.0.5 but I'm thinking of starting over at 9.0 and working my way up to 9.0.5 to see if that's the issue....

Just curious what versions you guys are on? I went right to 9.0.5 but I'm thinking of starting over at 9.0 and working my way up to 9.0.5 to see if that's the issue....

9.05 seems the most stable to me for a long time. on my macpro

I'm on 8.0.4 actually. The problem is only with Slate plugins when I try to run osx at 64bit....they ask authorization like they can't recognize the ilok. Anyway it's not a big problem.
Don't think it's a protools problem

Ive had usb issues on mine i think the 10.5 to 10.6 update replaced a kext (driver) which messed up my USB (would only work at 12meg instead of 400meg and firewire wouldnt work,
Have a look in the system profile and see how fast your usb is operating.