Is there anything I should change on my PC build

joelplagues

Jan 11, 2009
Brisbane, Australia
www.myspace.com
So I've finally decided to get a Custom PC built for my audio work.after speaking with a family friend I asked him to give me a quote on a computer. it was a basic talk but I think he understood what I wanted.

I was emailed this today-now everything isnt specific model numbers and so forth but does this sound alright?

Asus motherboard has firewire for front and one on back 6 USB ports at back and then two for front of case

Intel Q 9400

4G ram

Case with firewire at front and two usb

DVD burner

1 x 500G SATA system HDD

1 x 500G Data HDD

512 Nvidia Video Card

2 x firewire add in card so I'll have 4 total

do I really need all the firewire ports or is it best to have them as a just incase and I know nothing about video cards but I know this system wont be playing games or watching hd movies so will this video card do fine. Is it along the lines of a standard off the shelf pc's video card.

the PC will also be windows 7 as he was one of the beta testers and cant stop telling me to get it. Should everything work fine running pro tools 8,superior drummer 2.0, Waves plug ins

I think everything should be fine but I guess im just hesitating to put the money down.

thanks in advance:headbang:

everything looks good. Its almost exactly the same as mine.

you'll probably only need one firewire port, two at the most. Vid card is better than fine.

Use XP and PT 7.4 - its super stable. And you can tweak XP for recording http://www.pcmus.com/TweakXP.htm

You defintiely dont wanna be doin any beta testing stuff with audio recording, cause murphy's law says that one day PT will crash and POOF your whole project is gone :/

you never know

everything looks good. Its almost exactly the same as mine.

you'll probably only need one firewire port, two at the most. Vid card is better than fine.

Use XP and PT 7.4 - its super stable. And you can tweak XP for recording http://www.pcmus.com/TweakXP.htm

You defintiely dont wanna be doin any beta testing stuff with audio recording, cause murphy's law says that one day PT will crash and POOF your whole project is gone :/

you never know

I always thought Murphy's (James) law was to buy a MAC...

Whats the damage all up? Not being a smart arse or trying to start something here, but I bought a new imac with 500g hd and 4g ram for $1900. Includes screen, keyboard mouse, garage band, imovie, ultra stable OS, etc etc. Im running Protools 8, waves gold bundle, superior 2.0 and a fuckton of other stuff and it has been brilliant. I will never go the PC route again. These things are a steal for what you get and in the grunt department as well. Just throwing it out there. :)

Whats the damage all up? Not being a smart arse or trying to start something here, but I bought a new imac with 500g hd and 4g ram for $1900. Includes screen, keyboard mouse, garage band, imovie, ultra stable OS, etc etc. Im running Protools 8, waves gold bundle, superior 2.0 and a fuckton of other stuff and it has been brilliant. I will never go the PC route again. These things are a steal for what you get and in the grunt department as well. Just throwing it out there. :)

$970 AUD no screen as I already have a perfectly fine one right here. dont have the dosh to go mac otherwise I'd more than conisider.

I would personally go AMD on the processor to save a few bux, but also, why 2 500GB drives? A system drive wouldn't need much storage... perhaps just RAID the 2 500GB drives for redundancy in case one goes down? You might also consider something more basic for the video card as you won't need much for this... even some onboard vid cards are plenty! Just my thoughts...

if you can afford it, get a solid state drive

Yeah, the main drive at least. I use a 60GB Vertex by OCZ for my main and 500GB seagate for my "storage"... it works very very well, the OCZ drive writes at 215MB/s and reads 155MB/s, so its PLENTY fast :D