What should I be looking for in a PC that is mainly used for recording

Cacoph0ny

Feb 23, 2008
Ok, so my PC is totally fucked, no idea what happened (hopefully i can recover the HDD somehow) so I'm going to get a new one soon. I don't play game or anything so it's just used for audio and internet really. What should I be looking for if I want to use it mainly for recording? My current PC had a hard time running Superior 2 along with several plugins and it was SUPER laggy at times. What kind of processor would be best for a recording PC? RAM? sound card?

Yeah dude, I don't know why I wrote that.. bummed about my PC fuckin up.

Im mainly wondering what kind of processors I should look at.

Obviously the more ram the better. So just pack as much in as your budget can fit ha. Also, those Intel I3, I5, and I7 processors seem to be the latest thing. There is a dual core and quad core model of the I7. I you are going to drop the cash for an I7 or something similar you might as well get quad core because the price difference isn't that much. The performance boost is well worth it too.

Also, if you know enough about computers and have the time pick out your own parts and customize your computer. It's cheaper that way and you can hand pick the individual parts for your needs.

Here are some specs to shoot for:
-HDD 7200 rpm (preferable) Solid state if you can afford that. but who can? :p
-RAM at least 2 gigs. That is bare minimum. 4 or more should be what you aim for.
-CPU needs to be a dual core model (preferably quad considering how cheap they are now). Look for one with hyperthreading and 16 mb or more of cache.
-Also, front side bus for your motherboard is important. The higher mhz the better.

I hope I shed some light on a few things if you didn't know them already. I just went through the same thing you are dealing with now. I ended up getting a macbook pro only because portability is the utmost importance to me. If it weren't for that though I would spend about 400 bucks less and get a badass custom built pc that could run circles around this mac. :)

good luck!

Thanks man, that definitely helps. Is Newegg my cheapest bet if I were to order parts individually?

Also, how difficult is it to put a PC together? My PC was custom built but I didn't put it together so I don't have that experience.

For the £500-£600 mark:
An ok case, decent motherboard (gigabyte recommended), intel core i5, 4GB decent DDR3, 1TB 7200RPM hard drive, a cheapish graphics card and a sufficient PSU.

hell yea newegg is awesome, parts are cheap, and the site is so easy to navigate.

you can get a ballin ass comp for like $500-600 bucks.

let me know if you want any help finding parts and whatnot i love doin it!

ok, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna go with an Intel i-5 so any suggestions on a good compatible motherboard would be nice. Also need some recommendations for a cheap video card and RAM.

hell yea newegg is awesome, parts are cheap, and the site is so easy to navigate.

you can get a ballin ass comp for like $500-600 bucks.

let me know if you want any help finding parts and whatnot i love doin it!

:kickass:
Help meh out!!!
I've been looking at building an I7 but I cant bring myself to spend the $1000+ on the computer. Im in a bit of a money pickle right now.

so are you completely building from scratch? or do you have a case or powersupply or anything?

I just built the cheapest//most efficient comp on newegg, and unfortunatly its like $800.

With the new i-5/7 series you get into DDR3. with DDR3 means you have to get a PSU that is compatible (i think) and RAM and a MOBO that can support it. unfortunatly all these parts are more expensive.

But with DDR3 everything is BUHLAZING fast.

Heres the specs:

CoolerMaster Case: $50
Sapphire Radeon HD4670 1Gb 128bit DDR3 Graphics: $75
Corsair 650W i5/i7 ready PSU: $100
Gskill 4G DDR3 1600 RAM: $100
MSI P55 Micro ATX MOBO: $110
Intel Core i5 Quad 2.66GHz: $195
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB HDD: $100
LiteON DVD/CD Burner: $30

Total(estimate): $760

Note: If you did get something similar to this, I dont think youll have to worry about upgrading for a while, or youd just need to get more RAM, or a new processor after a few years. Everything else should hold you down for a good like 5-10 years haha.

hey aria, wanna help me out too :)? Im kind of in the same situation, as I need a new computer. I have another thread open with some great suggestions, But i figure I may aswell get some more. Heres my situation. Im building pretty much from scratch. I have a monitor,external harddrive,mouse and keyboard. I was thinking about this combo deal at newegg
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.324968

Thats what I want to start from, as its pretty damn powerful and leaves a lot of room for expansion. What other parts would you recommend for this? My budget is max 1300$, and Id like a slightly quiet PC. Thanks in advance.

If your gonna be using Firewire or will in the future, make sure you get a mobo with a TI chipset. If you don't, you may have problems

Well im still not familiar with all this new DDR3 stuff and what works with what and all that, but im assuming that if your old graphics card is PCIe x16 2.0 or one of those, it should just slide right in the slot at you should be able to use it. however I could be wrong and when your set it up, it might not be recognized or function properly so maybe you should do a couple google searches just to be safe!!

and in regards to how hard it is to put together a computer, I havent done one from start to finish before, but I have changed out 2 HDDs and a CD burner, but it seems pretty easy and straight forward, and with all the helpful websites out there, I dont think you could mess anything up really! just take you time, be patient, and make sure you dont have any static on you haha.

@nick and arrowed, just shoot me a PM or something with your budget and what you want and id be more that happy to help!!