Looking for a new computer!

Mar 5, 2011
Miami, FL
Hey, guys. I'm really trying to get myself a new laptop for recording purposes (PC preferably). I need something that can handle my DAW have 16 tracks with a bunch of plugins activated. Right now my computer starts running slow anytime i have three tracks with amp sims and eq/comp active. I have an old pc with Windows 7 with 1.50 GB of RAM and 2 ghz of processing power with AMD Sempron processor. I'm curious to know what are you guys are using and what i need to look for. Thanks

Laptops limit you from using PCI or PCIe peripherals, I'll say that much, but I understand a need for portability. Any processor at least 2ghz and dual-core (better is nice), 2-4gb's of RAM and a big ol' hard drive (SSD preferably) ought to do you right. USB 3 and firewire 400/800 ports are also welcome additions. My main recording computer is a quad-core running at 3.4ghz, 1TB 7200-rpm and 120gb SSD drives, 4gb RAM and a 5770, and it handles way more than I can usually throw at it.

Awesome! really appreciate you sharing your specs. Portability is very important to me but i can live with a new desktop as well. I'm definitely gonna have to get something that's dual-core or more. I'll use these specs as guidelines. Cheers

I recently built a computer with these specs (I put osx on it but you could use windows)

i5 2500k (oc'd to 4.2ghz)
16gb ram (gskill ripjaws)
80gb ssd
Corsair 750w psu
Gigabyte 1155 p67 mobo
Antec v100 case

It works badass for audio, is blazing fast, and cost less than $1000

Holy crap! Those are some crazy specs haha. I've actually been considering building my own tower but I'm not as computer tech savvy as I used to be. You said it cost less than $1000 so I might just do that. It beats buying a computer that doesn't have the things you want on it for about the same price.

Yeah, my computer ran me about 800 bucks and I built it last year. Building towers isn't very hard, and putting OS X or windows on it like arv_foh said isn't very hard either. In the 21st century there are a lot of options.