Computer n00b looking to improve VST performance

The Unavoidable

jättebög
May 27, 2008
Umeå, Sweden
Hey guys. So, at the moment I am running several instances of ampsims (these days mostly VST Amp Rack) and with about 4 or more instances the sound starts crackling and acting up. Freezing the tracks isn't really an option, since I often write/re-record parts as I go along.

Would a simple upgrading of ram be enough to sort this out, or do I need to do something else?

Using Cubase 6, AMD Dual core processeor 3.10ghz with 4 gb ram

Got a tip from a friend to check out the task manager and the levels there, and it does seem like the processor is spiking when the VSTs pile up. Get some more ghz? Or rather some more cores?

What is your buffer set to?

You could also consider:

1) put a stereo instance of the ampsim on a stereo bus and route your DI tracks to it.

2) record into one instance of the ampsim and route it's output to a new audio track, essentially printing as you track. This option means no DI to mess with later though. But for demos sake!

It's all in the processor power. RAM is helpful for having huge libraries and caches.
Set your buffer as low as possible without "crackling" and delay while tracking, crank it up to 1024 or so when mixing and you should be fine?

First you can upgrade to a VST host that will use your hardware more efficiently.
REAPER for example.

Maybe I'm a dummy, but what makes Reaper sooooooo efficient with VST's?

I've never had a problem with Cubase managing resources. Multiple VSTi's, 10 channels maxed out (with Nebula mind you, big CPU killer), much more without Nebula...

I'm not saying EVERYONE should use Cubase because I like it better (yes, I've tried Reaper, I just don't like it). A lot of Reaper people are getting preachier than the new pope (heard it might be Ray Lewis) these days :lol:

BACK OT: It's probably a buffer setting issue

Thanks guys, like I said I'm not exactly an expert with this stuff so help is appreciated! I'll be getting a new processor then, maybe a schtick of ram or two while I'm at it.

Used reaper for around two years actually, and I wasn't very happy with it. It was great for such a low price, and offered many cool stuff but everything about Cubase is just so more intuitive/better designed IMO.

Also, changing the buffer setting does help but it prevents record-monitoring which I can't live without. Thanks for the ideas though!

It is a good idea to invest in quality motherboard, too. About 200 - 300 € should do. Keeps the trouble away!

Keep your drivers updated. (Driver Genius, or similar ...) <- Set a system restore point before updateing!

And your system clean. (TuneUp Utilities, or similar...)

Always look at your buffer settings for startes, if you are live tracking with plugins and VSTs and your buffer length is so large that you can't track tight enough, then you will need to get a better processor. More cores is better than clock speed as audio processing is more of a parallel process than it is a serial process.

You can download CPU-Z just google it, and run it. It will give you the socket type for your CPU so you will know which processor socket type to get that will be a direct replacement. It will also give you a rundown of your processors specs so you will be able to compare newer CPUs to your current one.

As for streamlining your computer to free up CPU resources:

- Disk Cleanup, Disk Defragment and Registry repair Programs (CCleaner is good) frequently, at most once a month
- Go to run and type "msconfig", go to the startup tab, and remove any background programs you don't need at that moment to record/mix. Don't turn off things that you don't know what it is. Also go into services, at the bottom check "hide microsoft services" and then turn off all the programs you have installed that you don't use for recording. You can turn them back on again by starting the .exe file for that program, but your computer by default when restarted or turned on will have that background program off.
- After you reset your computer when changing settings in msconfig, go to the task manager, go to processes click the memory tab so that the list goes in descending order from most memory used to less used, right click and remove all programs that you are not using. If you want to use them again, run the program and it will start back up or reset your computer.
- With the task manager still open, open cubase when you see cubase show up in the Process tab, right click on it, hover over select priority and set it to realtime. Then right click it again, click set affinity and make sure that cubase can access all the cores on your computer, sometimes it is not always defaulted to all cores.

You can also use CCleaner to check your startup and services in the Tools section, just a FYI. Great program.

The Pro Tools manual had a lot of tips for setting up Windows to run better with audio, I'm sure it works wonders for any DAW. One that I recall was setting your priority to background services. Sounds weird, but seemed to help. Not sure why.

Run in "turbo mode" with something like Tuneup Utilities (there's some free program that does this too, forgot what it was). That does a lot of the work of the Pro Tools optimization guide. Turning off Aero, etc.

I don't have a problem with my AMD PC since I upgraded the graphics & ram (just a coincidence that I did that recently because the graphics card burnt out & I only had 2 GB RAM so went to 4). But definitely want to upgrade several things together for things to run steady, don't skimp on ram & run older graphics cards with an ok CPU like I did.

In Cakewalk, you can click "freeze track" (looks like a little snowflake in your track view if you open it up/zoom far enough), and it will render the track so it just has to play a file instead of run the VSTs on the track. I was using the cheapo Music Creator version of X1 and worked fine. Also an easy way to override the VST limit. Render/delete FX. Sounds kind of silly, but I did that for a while instead of using Reaper because Reaper crashes with some of my old Musiclab plugins so I can't even set up a template the way I need to without it crashing. Pro Tools crashed too, so not saying it's the DAWs, I'm just stubborn to try different drum editing programs when I got hundreds invested into my MIDI plugins.