Images from Words

S4R

gooey
Sep 7, 2001
.il.us
Which band or artist creates the most enjoyable images in your head?

Devin Townsend is by far and away the person guiltiest of this in my head. His music is amazing and the images it places in my head are just as enjoyable.

Opeth and Katatonia.

And for non-metal bands, probably Front Line Assembly. Mostly just because I love the sci-fi/futuristic dramatic/depressing doomsday scenarios that pop up in most of their songs.

Oh and Porcupine Tree as well.

Definitely Katatonia -especially "brave murder day","sounds of decay" and the ultimate Katatonia song "quiet world" :cry:
and also Opeth,In the woods... and Green Carnation...

I must agree, Devin Townsends must is very image inducing..

Like Ocean Machine, when I listen to it, I see the whole concept of the album playing before my eyes, Voices In The Fan... Funeral

Then in Infinity, songs like Soul Driven, I remember and interview where devin said the image f this song was a giant moth cruising up a wall in a sea of small beas like an ocean liner. Picture that next time you listen to Soul Driven. And Ants is obvious...

Physisist... I don't know.. I imagine evil people that a sposed to be evil, but are having a hard time, because they keep sm,iling, while getting angry at the same time.

And then Terria is such a landscape, Deep Peace, I think of whales flying over a dry salt lake or something... The Fluke makes me think of some guy in a mental institute who thinks he's the most important thing in the world..

Those are some of the images that come to my head when I listen to Devin Townsend..

opeth,,,,i read the lyrics to morningrise and it helps me write my own stuff,,,,,it puts me in a mood,,,,it helps me escape this tormented world and exist in a world where life is what you want it to be

Opeth makes me happy. Korn makes me sad. And everything else....it just depends on the meaning of the song.

For example, this Orgy song I'm listening to.....Eva.....makes me think about death and loss. :(

When I listen to The Moor, I get an image of sweeping through a desolate, barren, grey land with dead overgrowth and an overall gloomy feel. Actually, I get that listening to the whole Still Life album.

The Tea Party for me... 'Gyroscope' and 'Halcyon Days' both give me vivid imaginations of walking through an arabic market, with snake-charmers and stalls and bustling full of people... amazing.

Then there is 'Alarum'... oh... "I took a slide, slipping down a staircase, a pirinesean dream, my senses reeled, distorted about the darkness, I lit my way with a scream" Fuck. I totally get why he went mad, totally understand. Imagine a thousand never-ending staicases leading into the inner depths of your own personal hell... oh...

and then the chorus, it is so desperate in intense... it makes me feel uncomfortable and scared, just listening to Jeff Martins screams...

Loud cry from the shallows
Lust feeds on the fear
Walls crack under pressure
I think the end is getting near

nothing matters
When it takes me
Where it rapes me, breaks me
Shakes me down

..And then quite possibly the sadest and most intense song ever written, A Certain Slant Of Light. I don't even need to describe it, if you know the song, you will understand.

Greetings. I love this thread.

Metal :
- Cradle of Filth : Cruelty and the Beast. (twisted nails of faith)
- Dark Tranquility : Haven. (haven, lost for words, etc.)
- Evereve : Stormbirds. (whole album)
- Mr. Bungle : California (sweet charity, golem II, retrovertigo, pink cigarette, goodbye sober day)
- Devil Doll : all albums
- Lacrimosa : Elodia (Alle zu zweit)
- My Dying Bride : The angel and the dark river (the cry of mankind)
- My Dying Bride : The dreadful hours (le figlie della tempesta)
- Nightwish : Oceanborn (moondance)
- Theatre of Tragedy : Aegis (whole album)
- Therion : Vovin (draconian trilogy)
- Devin Townsend : Infinity (ants, noisy pink bubbles, etc.)
- Yearning : Plaintive Scenes (whole album)

many more

Non-metal :
- Akira original soundtrack (either I picture the movie, or many other things)
- Tschaikovsky : Swan Lake
- Dead Can Dance (all)
- Genesis : Foxtrot, Selling England by the POund, The Lamb Lies down on Broadway (all songs, no kidding !), Trick of the Tail, Wind and Wuthering (some songs from both), Trespass (The Knife)
- Depeche Mode (too much sonmgs to name)
- VNV Nation : Empires (most songs, but the best ones are Rubicon and SAVIOUR. fucking great instrumental song, it makes me rip through all curtains of reality. Pure magic.)
- King Crimson : In the court of the crimson king (all album)
- Jethro Tull : Stormwatch (Orion)
- Noir Désir : 666.667 Club (Comme elle vient, À la longue)
- Noir Désir : Des Visages, Des Figures (Le vent nous portera, Des visages des figures, etc.)
- Landberk : Lonely Land (all album)
- Passengers : Original soundtracks (Your Blue Room)
- Pink Floyd (Atom Heart Mother Suite, Echoes, and so many more)
- Simon and Garfunkel : Lots of songs as well
- Marillion (any album -- don't get me started)
- Midnight Oil : Many albums, many songs.

That should be enough for now...

What a great thread for those, like me, that love to imagine things while listening to music ! Keep on posting !!

I remember one night I was lying in bed listening to Terria and I kept imagining all of these plants growing very fast up from the ground, they grew all the way into the sky, it was a huge entangled tapestry of colors. Whenever I create images from Opeth without fail a forest will appear in some way, especially during MAYH.

I visualize almost all music I listen to, but the person stand-outs for me would be:

- Peter Andersson (Raison D'etre and Necrophorus - transcendental bliss)

- Arcturus

- Devin Townsend

- Limbonic Art

- Sephiroth

- Dead Can Dance

I can't really name much apart from Stabbing Westward - Darkest Days and most Opeth songs, but I tend to prefer (You can probably see this in my songwriting .. hopefully..) songs that are really vague, and let you (Listener) tell the (a) story.