OPETH are about to break....

I hate it when people label themselves as "true Opeth fans." What does that mean anyway? You would suck Mike's dick for a dime? You carry a picture of him in your wallet? Or when a "true Opeth fan" says you like the album just because it's Opeth.

Come on, when someone doesn't like a new album that doesn't mean they are not fans of the band, and when someone likes the new album it doesn't mean their kissing ass.

Personally, I think it's great people are getting more enthusiastic about their music. I'm excited to share my thoughts and feelings with more people, this band is very special to me.

I'm kind of disappointed that back in grade 6, a friend showed me Opeth, and I was floored. I was proud to own an Opeth shirt and wore it quite often. Then all of a sudden, there were tons of Opeth shirts around, people who I didn't expect. There just seemed to be swarms of Opeth fans, and it seemed like Opeth just became popular all of a sudden. But then again, maybe it's just metal in general seeing that I see everything from Blind Guardian apparel, to Black Dahlia Murder and Iced Earth apparel as well.

maybe you were just really popular and influenced those around you? haha

Watershed debuted at #7 in Australia (quite a feat actually) on the charts. Personally I don't think it's ever gonna change Mike's writing style, but as someone posted above me, I don't want to have to fight for tix when they come over here, or go to see them at an arena. I like the fact that they are an amazing band that not a whole heap of people are into. Is that selfish? I hope they make lots of money and all, obviously they deserve it, I just don't want it to become normal to see 12 year olds walking down the street in deliverance t-shirts.

Opeth has gotten some well deserved publicity mainly due to Roadrunner's efforts, I belive. Of course Opeth will never break it into the mainstream, but we have to remember that prog was highly popular in the '70s. There's people who listen something else than r'n'b, rap, skate punk or metalcore.

I think they will continue to gain popularity until they become the 12th largest economy in the world, just behind Belgium.

or the eleventh, just ahead of Dethklok, lol :kickass:

seriously tho, i don't care how "popular" they are or how many records they sell, the only thing that matters to me is that they stay true to their hearts and continue to make astoundingly mind-blowing music. and i know they always will.

I hate it when people label themselves as "true Opeth fans." What does that mean anyway? You would suck Mike's dick for a dime? You carry a picture of him in your wallet? Or when a "true Opeth fan" says you like the album just because it's Opeth.

i am a true opeth fan because i love everything they have ever done, because of the way the music and lyrics touch me emotionally in a way that no other music does, and because i like the fact that they are who they are and they release the music that they like to play, what comes out of their brains collectively, not what they think the populous wants to hear. i like them because they don't get played on mtv or the radio. i like them because they are true musicians, because of the skills and techniques and abilities of the musicians, everyone in the band both past and present are virtuosos in their own respect and that's what it takes to be in a band as great as opeth.

i am a true opeth fan because i love everything they have ever done, because of the way the music and lyrics touch me emotionally in a way that no other music does, and because i like the fact that they are who they are and they release the music that they like to play, what comes out of their brains collectively, not what they think the populous wants to hear. i like them because they don't get played on mtv or the radio. i like them because they are true musicians, because of the skills and techniques and abilities of the musicians, everyone in the band both past and present are virtuosos in their own respect and that's what it takes to be in a band as great as opeth.

So I'm not a true Opeth fan. Even though I've bought all their records, sometimes twice, DVD, went to one of their shows (keeping in mind that I have to go abroad to see Opeth live, that's quite a lot of money), and have a couple of their T-shirts. Just because I don't like their last album.

I agree with OpethAllenPoe, there's no such thing as a "true" Opeth fan. There's only different shades of fan.

So I'm not a true Opeth fan. Even though I've bought all their records, sometimes twice, DVD, went to one of their shows (keeping in mind that I have to go abroad to see Opeth live, that's quite a lot of money), and have a couple of their T-shirts. Just because I don't like their last album.

I agree with OpethAllenPoe, there's no such thing as a "true" Opeth fan. There's only different shades of fan.

that is true, and i do apologize. i have never been fortunate enough to be able to attend a show, i don't own any apparel items or anything, and i've only been able to purchase BWP and SL (though my SL is severely scratched and needs replacement!!), but i consider myself a true fan because of the appreciation and love i have for their music. because their music is all that i want to listen to. because i dont' give half a shit about what's playing on the radio or on mtv, or what my peers like to listen to. i consider myself a true opeth fan because i listen to what i want to listen to, and 99% oif the time, that is opeth.

Well it was nice having you as a fan. Now go find another unheard-of band to woship until they are recognized for their genius and then curse them and move on the the latest garage band in your neighborhood. See ya!
Seriously. Popularity doesn't equal suck. Black Sabbath, Led Zepplin, Pink Floyd, and Deep Purple all came out of the gates popular.

Let them do what they want; its their music, their life and their career. If they chose to go mainstream then so be it.

Seriously. Popularity doesn't equal suck. Black Sabbath, Led Zepplin, Pink Floyd, and Deep Purple all came out of the gates popular.

not to argue. dunno too much about the history of the others, but i do know that pink floyd started out as basically a "club" band, they played at the ufo in london and basically outside of the club scene in london in the mid 60's, they were unheard of. syd barrett wanted to be a "pop star" so he wrote songs like "see emily play" and "arnold layne," which were supposed to be pink floyd's "singles'. but as we all know, syd o'd on acid and his musical genius was left inside his own mind. once he left and dave gilmour joined, they were a lot like i believe opeth is. they didn't care how many records they sold or how many people listened, it was the music they were making that mattered to them. they were simply four very talented, very awesome musicians that wanted to make music that sounded good to them. then they made a record called "dark side of the moon" and it changed everything, from a certain perspective anyway. but it didn't change the fact that certain people love to make good music and i beleive opeth carries on that tradition.

not to argue. dunno too much about the history of the others, but i do know that pink floyd started out as basically a "club" band, they played at the ufo in london and basically outside of the club scene in london in the mid 60's, they were unheard of. syd barrett wanted to be a "pop star" so he wrote songs like "see emily play" and "arnold layne," which were supposed to be pink floyd's "singles'. but as we all know, syd o'd on acid and his musical genius was left inside his own mind. once he left and dave gilmour joined, they were a lot like i believe opeth is. they didn't care how many records they sold or how many people listened, it was the music they were making that mattered to them. they were simply four very talented, very awesome musicians that wanted to make music that sounded good to them. then they made a record called "dark side of the moon" and it changed everything, from a certain perspective anyway. but it didn't change the fact that certain people love to make good music and i beleive opeth carries on that tradition.

is this your first post on the forum where you didnt say "im sorry"?

That's stupid thing. I hate that. After Dimmu Borgir started to write more original, and more cooler stuff, every "true black metal fanatic" started to say that Dimmu Borgir is mainstream shit and not black metal anymore... I think if a band start to sell more and more stuff they don't going to be mainstream, Opeth makes beautiful music, sells more tuff and I don't know what's the problem with it...

Why not wish enormous success on a band that actually deserves it for a change? I really wouldn't worry about the whole "sellout" concept, either. Mikael just isn't that kind of cat, from everything I've ever read or seen from the guy, not to mention the music, which pretty much says all that needs to be said about his integrity and passion.

Who knows, maybe it could even open the door for other musicians who dare to think outside the box and choose artistry over formula to actually be able to make a successful, profitable living at it. How could that ever be a bad thing?