Imaginaerum movie premiere!

Tonight's the night...our fellow Finnish OSAers, Enigma and Pere, will be at the premiere tonight, rocking out at the show and getting to be among the first in our community to see the long-awaited Imaginaerum movie!

So this thread is just for them (and anyone else who went to the premiere), to post their reviews and share any tidbits about the movie that they know we are all dying to hear!

And of course, this thread is for everyone else too, to share the excitement and read the reviews!

Have fun tonight, you guys!

I hope so. I've been waiting for this day for what seems like forever! Hopefully no major spoilers, and hopefully it's something wonderful!

tumblr_mdaouml56f1qjaed5o1_500.png

Just found this on setlist.fm... Arabesque with pyro dancers wut!?

WOW!!! I really hope this concert was filmed for DVD, or that we will get to see it in some capacity.

Seeing as how it's a little past 7 in the morning right now in Finland, I do not expect any reviews from Pere or Enigma just yet...but hopefully they will come in here and share some stuff with us as soon as they can!

As for me, I want some spoilers because it will likely be MONTHS before we will get to see the movie for ourselves, and I just can't wait that long! I think we have spoiler tags here, so that would be quite useful for those of us who want to hear all the details but not without ruining it for those who don't.

Edit: Here you go, Desi; some video of "Arabesque" live! Courtesy of our Tumblr, via reblog.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ts2sCCpg3Q&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

I got message from good friend that it was a good show, she liked it, she says the movie story reminds her of A Christmas Carol. And then my other friend...said the afterparty sucked. *LMAO* Dunno his thoughts of the film...cos he was too busy at the party. Anyways...I love that Arabesque clip, omg i wish i could have seen that!! 10,000 people i heard filled the place.

Hello, Osaers, and greetings from the show! It indeed was a memorable night. Want to hear about it?

Hehe, just teasing. Of course I'll give you my account, I'll just have to gather my thoughts a bit first.

On a general note: The gig was fantastic, I'd say the best one I have witnessed. Third time lucky, as they say. Ms. Jansen was fantastic. Pekka Kuusisto with violin and the pyro show during Arabesque were great surprises.

The movie is a more mixed bag in my opinion; if I had to score it I'd maybe give 3.5 out of 5. But then again I found myself comparing it with Pink Floyd's The Wall, which in my books at least is a very respectable yardstick.

More to follow.

Thanks, Lady Warwick, for your feedback from your friend who was lucky enough to attend the after-show party! According to the band's Twitter or Facebook, they were going to be sampling some of that Imaginaerum wine at said party. Did your friend mention if he got to try any?

Pere: I cannot wait to hear all of your feedback on the show and the movie. I also heard about Pekka Kuusisto making a special guest appearance; I really hope something will be up on YouTube of that! :D

I also heard about Pekka Kuusisto making a special guest appearance; I really hope something will be up on YouTube of that! :D

A clip of the tearful song with a very decend sound and reasonable view as well:

Also the wilderness piece in HD:

Last edited by a moderator:
Here you go, a collection of considerations and random thoughts regarding the gig.

I have to agree with many others in that the band now feels more of just that – a band, as compared with a band and a soloist. There’s more aggressive and powerful feel to it, and I love it.

I liked Anette a lot, but I have to confess I like Floor probably more; she feels like the best of both worlds, a very powerful voice and capability to use classical technique, but there's also the belting technique in a grittier, rockier style. Some say she doesn’t have Anette’s warmth, emotion and storytelling feel to it, but to me she's hardly lacking anything in this respect either.

The start with Taikatalvi and Storytime still felt as brilliant as in spring, and I really like Floor’s little tweaks here and there; listen to this from 6:35 to 6:50 for example:

When Dark Chest of Wonders started I went ballistic – not just Imaginaerum stuff, we're having older material as well! One of my biggest favorites and Floor does it brilliantly.

With very little changes, she also has made Amaranth almost like a new song. In particular I love the way she sings the chorus.

Scaretale was perhaps Anette’s finest hour and less memorable with Floor but still not bad at all.

I feel Ever Dream is a prime example of the respective strengths of Anette and Floor; A’s warmth and emotion is great for the intro and verses while the power in F’s choruses is amazing.

Perhaps the band have realized their set list lacked momentum since Slow, Love, Slow was the only slow one this time – a good move.

I Want My Tears Back and Last of the Wilds with Pekka Kuusisto, just brilliant.

Arabesque with pyros: very nice surprise extra and superb contrast with the following Planet Hell which really rocks with Floor.

Then the final four: Ghost River, Song of Myself, Ghost Love Score and Last Ride of the Day, what a grande finale!

Basically the only thing I can think of that they could have improved was encore, or precisely, the lack of it: something like Sacrament of the Wilderness at the end would’ve been perfection. To my astonishment I noticed afterwards that what felt like a very short time was in reality an hour and a half. And even this way the start of the movie was maybe 20 min late, so it’s practical and understandable. But still…

I had a seat up in the balcony and said to the guy next me between the gig and movie that I hope I didn’t block badly his view. He said no. I said good and explained that I got a bit carried away in the moment at times, he laughed and said he kind of noticed.

Note to self: never again a seat in a rock concert, at least not in Finland. I hated so much sitting with my countrymen, staring still in front of them like vegetables. It seems I’m still, at 40+, unable to abandon this Finnish cool for a moment and just let go, stand up and rock it out if nobody else around me does that. Perhaps I’ll be able to do it when I’m sixty.

I’ll post about the movie tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, wow. That sounds so killer. Though I must ask, what the hell is up with Floors microphone during I Want My Tears Back??

Floor needs to go easy on the windmill headbanging. That's how Tom Araya ended up needing surgery. He can't headbang any more on stage from it.

Floor needs to go easy on the windmill headbanging. That's how Tom Araya ended up needing surgery. He can't headbang any more on stage from it.

Yes, I got whiplash (not from headbanging) and a year later I am still struggling with the recovery, going still to therapy twice monthly.

Although with her long hair, she probably doesn't need to do too much headbanging to get it to twirl like that. Hope she is safe.

^True, the last thing we need is the loss of yet another Nightwish singer due to medical issues. :(

Speaking of which, Anette posted something very interesting on her blog...apparently the original plan for the premiere was to perform the whole Imaginaerum album in its entirety!

tumblr_mdc9wb8HSN1qjaed5o1_500.png

Also looks like she hasn't learned to quit throwing underhanded insults to the band either. Oh well.

Yeah I'm starting have a bad taste about Anette's BS. For me it really sucks, cos I really liked her voice, I thought she was fine on stage and all that...but when attitudes and BS like that blog post comes up...it's like...ok I want to like her but it's hard to with that attitude.

Yeah the original plan might have been that but lady you left, it's not the plan anymore duuurrrrrrr......

Did she somehow expect Tuomas to happily invite her to do the premier gig? uh no...like i said, hey lady you bailed out on the boys...you lost out!

I was actually referring to her sideways remark about how Petri Alanko's version of "Deeper Down" "is so much better than the original". Well, what the f*ck else does she mean? We all know Tuomas wrote the original compositions, so way to insult the songwriter!

Yeah, it is really hard for me to maintain the respect I used to have for Anette, considering that she basically left the band holding the bag because she threw a temper tantrum and couldn't understand why the whole production shouldn't come to a complete stop just for her. :rolleyes:

Now, about the movie. I’m not giving a plot synopsis; if anyone wants that you’ll find one on the official English forum.

My great conviction is that in music eventually everything stands or falls with the song – if it’s good it will tolerate a lot of incompetence from musicians, vocalist etc. and if it’s bad not even the greatest of performers can save it. Much the same goes IMO for the script in movies.

Imaginaerum’s biggest weakness is an unfinished script. The ideas are pretty good, I’d say the ingredients for a really good movie are there but they have not been developed to the full. Too much fuzziness, a bit shallow characters and a lot of confusion. I’m not saying you should bend a wire model out of everything but here I get the nagging feeling that the script writer didn’t always himself know why he is showing us what he is showing.

But it did have its moments. The beginning and the build-up was a bit underwhelming, but once it got started properly it flowed quite nicely. The ending would have been great if they hadn’t extended it – just waters it down.
Music worked just fine IMO. The scenes with the band are good, even very good.
The actors are also good, nothing extraordinary but good, solid work.

I wasn’t so crazy about the special effects, particularly the snowman. He has such a central role and it left me with a bit childish impression.

Which brings me to a key issue. The movie seems to be intended as a ‘serious’ adult movie, the themes and imagery are way too dark and graphic for a genuine children’s movie. But then we have a creepy snowman as one of the main characters and lots other childish/surreal/dreamy stuff. I’m still not sure how it all works up as a combination. I guess some will love this and some will hate it.

But I’m starting to sound a bit too negative for own my liking. Despite my gripes I think it was worth seeing – go and have a look for yourself when you have a chance!

I’m not giving a plot synopsis; if anyone wants that you’ll find one on the official English forum.

Can you e-mail it to me, Pere? I don't go to places where I am not welcome.

Sounds to me like the movie is a lot like the album; no two people share the same opinion about that either, and in the end, one has to listen/watch for themselves to decide.