Immolation- Shadows in the light!!!

I-Oblivion-I

Aug 29, 2006
Anyone here anticipating Immolation's new album? They have a track up on their official myspace page and it's simply amazing! I have no doubt that this album will be one of the best of 2007, Immolation have never released a bad album and it looks like they will continue that trend with this one!

Yes.

I really like the new song that they posted on their myspace, though it gives me the impression that this new album will probably feature their most accessible and streamlined music yet.

In this case, it is not a bad thing though... they still manage to retain a sense of originality and quality/substance for this somewhat streamlined approach in the music (similar to what Morbid Angel did on Covenant and Slayer did on Seasons in the Abyss). The first few albums will always their most rhythmically-adventurous excursions, while Close to a World Below and Unholy Cult are their most noticeably mature, atmospheric recordings. Harnessing Ruin and Shadows... (will) follow a new agenda; more compact songwriting and more straightforward, militant-sounding rhythms in addition to the lead guitar taking a more prominent role (it is a good thing that that the production will be better on the new album, from the sounds of the new song).

I agree with you that they haven't released a bad album, but I consider "Harnessing Ruin" their least good, so to say. Nevertheless, I'm definitely looking forward to the new one, as well as the EP accompanied by a live DVD.

I agree with everything Solipsist said except I'm not really wowed by the new song. It sounds better than the material on Harnessing but still seems pretty weak compared to any song off Unholy Cult.

I'm actually quite excited for it. I heard the new track and actually liked it. I'm sure it will get a little redundant, but you never know.

I am looking forward to this and think the album will be better than Harnessing Ruin which is still great, but lacking. I will always find the first three to be the best Immolation cds no matter what they put out.

I really don't like Failures for Gods, the song writing was so lacking from what I liked quite a bit from Dawn of Possession and Here in After. Perhaps it's time to give it another spin.

Hopefully it's better than Suffocation's album which was a bunch of good ideas poorly put together.

The thing for me with Immolation is they make great material, that's not an issue, but they don't seem to have changed at all over the course of their existence. I mean I like consistancy, but to the extent they do it just means I'm could quite happily own just one or two of their albums and that would fulfil all my Immolation needs.
Long story short, I probably wont buy their new album, unless I see it for really cheap.

I guess it depends on what you mean by "changed". There's a large difference between Dawn of Possession and Here in After. Failure For Gods uses more linear rhythms but with parallel and octave riffing. The last 3 seem pretty much along this vein but more streamlined, too much perhaps but the songwriting has improved. Let's hope for a few changes.