Immortal - Sons Of Northern Darkness

Executioner213

Ultimate Meatbag
Sep 2, 2001
Spokane, WA
www.facebook.com
Does anyone like the sound of this album? I dig Immortal not only because they have some catchy stuff, but because thier sound isn't so tinny (to me, compared to most Black Metal bands). Anyone have any thoughts on this album in particular?

i used to think it sounds great. that was until i developed a halfway decent ear ;) nowadays it sounds thin and solid state to me, but well you have a point there, it's definitely a lot better than most black metal stuff - excluding the symphonic dimmu and cradle stuff. and the clean part in tyrants has quite an awesome clean sound imho.

i do however wonder about abbath's setup. i'm not anymore into immortal or black metal in general, but still....

I agree.

Don't misunderstand me: I don't think this is the end all-be all sound for a band, but for what style of music they play and what they do, I think they sound really good on that album in particular. I absolutely love the production on Dimmu's "Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia" and am kinda fond of the newer Cradle sound being less shitty....just compare "Cruelty & The Beasts" crap sound with anything after that, and you'll know what I mean. I was even impressed with Emperor's "Prometheus.." album production compared to the last few behind it. It's the cleanest, chunkiest album they've put out IMO.

I love the sound of that album. Most of Tagtgrens guitars now have that similar sound, I think they sound huge. Defintely one of my favorite guitar sounds. I'd really like to know how to get them like that.

Yeah, I really like Tagtgrens sound....I'd like to be able to acheive that as well. Some people might hate it, but I'm fond of it. It's not the purest sound, but it has a good vibe to it for metal, IMO

Blashyrk is one of the coolest videos ever!
A friend of mine had to vomit because he laughed so hard after seeing it (that really happend, it was very sick, his complete desk and keyboard was full)
I think their guitar sound fits the songs, but I like the sound of Damned in Black more.
To join the group of "Best Tones" posters:
Opeth-Deliverance (man, it's awesome, clear and direct, listen to Master's Apprentices)
Nevermore-TGE
Morbid Angel-Blessed are the sick (not the best production but I love the feeling and the guitar sound fits perfect)
Pantera-Vulgar Display of Power and the Great Southern Trendkill (Dime's guitar sound > everybody guitar sound)

photosession_2002_sons_of_northern_darkness_05.jpg

i love the pictures of them with the swords and odd battle instruments, mt battle instrument is simple....B.C. Rich Kerry King FLying V