Official Royal Carnage Thread of Immortal

markgugs said:
No shit! And Abbath wouldn't give me an interview because I was too drunk?! LOL. Maybe I should've dressed up like a giant elf in corpsepaint.

...but you were dressed up like a...oh never mind. ;)

Funny that this Immortal guy is a tea totaller. Maybe he was in rehab or something? When he was playing, the guys from Amon Amarth kept chucking beer cups at him, and they were pretty accurate too! Whether he wanted to or not, he digested some beer that night.

At least it looked like beer.

Listening to At the Heart of Winter right now and I don't know if I've ever enjoyed that one as much as I'm doing right now. God goat those riffs are awesome, the production's lovely crunch makes my head bob and Abbath's vocals are wonderfully raspy :p~~~~

Conclusion: I need more Immortal, I've only heard the three latest for some reason.

I think "Sons Of Northern Darkness" pretty much sucks, actually, apart from the title track. "Blizzard Beasts" is equally bad. Other than those two, Immortal's back catalogue kicks ass. Album rating:

1. Pure Holocaust
2. At The Heart Of Winter
3. Battles In The North
4. Damned In Black
5. Diabolical Fullmoon Mysticism
6. Sons Of Northern Darkness/Blizzard Beast

I'd rank the last three as follows:

1. At the Heart of Winter (With "Solarfall" being my favorite Immortal song)
2. Sons of Northern Darkness (With "Beyond the North Waves" being my 3rd favorite Immortal song)
3. Damned in Black (with "Damned in Black" being my 2nd favorite Immortal song)

Prior to AtHoW, Immortal utilized a much more black metal than traditional metal sound, but if you're into old school black metal, particularly the Norwegian scene of the early to mid-nineties, then there's plenty of quality music to be found on their first 4 releases as well. Diabolical Fullmoon Mysticism (their first) seems to be held in ultra high regard by fans of Immortal's earlier style. I gravitate more towards Pure Holocaust and Battles in the North, and Blizzard Beasts just doesn't seem to hold up to the other 3 releases prior to their style shift.

I guesss my full ranking would be as follows:

1. At the Heart of Winter
2. Sons of Northern Darkness
3. Damned In Black
4. Battles in the North
5. Pure Holocaust
6. Diabolical Fullmoon Mysticism
7. Blizzard Beasts

Wrong. Blizzard Beasts kicks mucho ass, much more so than the blahfest of Battles in the North. Seriously, how can anyone not like Mountains of Might????

I don't like AtHoW near as much as I did when I first bought it.

1. Pure Holocaust
2. Blizzard Beasts
3. DFM
4. AtHoW
5. BitN
6. SoND
7. DiB

I would rank the albums I've heard thus(ly):

1. At the Heart of Winter (great riffs and mood in general, the longer songs works a lot better than SoND)
2. Sons of Northern Darkness (The frist three tracks are absolutely awsome, but it seriously looses momentum as the end of the record, still a very good album though)
3. Damned in Black (This one is pretty poor and the only memorable track is the title track, which in contrast is extremly good)

I love everything Immortal have done. The only album that doesn't regularely visit my stereo is Damned in Black, and even that gets a spin every now and then.

Immortal, in my opinion, is the best black metal band there is, and the legacy they left behind is monumental. I still cry myself to sleep every time I think about they breaking up. My favorite band for twelve years now...

I thought I had posted here before, I guess UM is screwing with me. Anyway, At the Heart of Winter is an absolute classic, no doubt about it. I own all of the albums except for Damned in Black and Pure Holocaust (yeah, I know, it's a fucking shame). I really don't understand why a lot of people don't like Sons of Northern Darkness- it is a fantastic last effort and a decent farewell. My list would probably have to go like this (but keep in mind I hold all of the records at a very high status).

Diabolical Fullmoon Mysticism
At the Heart of Winter
Sons of Northern Darkness
Blizzard Beasts
Battles in the North