Impaled Nazarene - Manifest

George

Jun 17, 2004
CT, USA
Impaled Nazarene - Manifest
Osmose Productions - OPCD 200 - October 26, 2007
By George Grant

imapledn.jpg

The opening of Impaled Nararene’s newest album, Manifest, sets the stage for an aggressive album. Despite this being the 11th full-length album by the Finnish force, and the constant member changes the band has proven that they still have the drive and determination.

The first official track on the album, ‘The Antichrist Files,’ clocks in at just shy of one minute and thirty seconds. This brief track works as a thesis for the overall album in that it sets the basic framework of Manifest. This framework is the heavy power chord guitar riffs and blazing rhythms with Mika Luttinen’s powerful screams driving the record. However, throughout the album Impaled Nazarene colors the sound with various influences that help bring healthy variations to the compositions. Without a doubt the largest influence on Manifest would be the punk riffs that are littered throughout. The track ‘You Don’t Rock Hard,’ follows a very simple four chord riff found in many hardcore and street punk groups and it fits very well with Impaled Nazarene’s attitude. This isn’t to say that the black metal roots are completely lost from the band’s sound. The quick blasting ‘Pandemia’ with its tremolo heavy riffs hearken back to the band’s earlier sound. The most surprising influence however would have to be the power metal vibe in songs like ‘The Calling’ and ‘Mushroom Truth.’ The overtly melodic lines add a catchy element to the music that will make repeated listens enjoyable.

The highlight performance on this album would have to be Mika Luttinen’s vocals. They are easily the most pronounced element in the band, and it seems as though the music is structured around his rhythmic delivery. Luttinen also isn’t afraid to stretch his vocals to the limits throughout the album as shown in the closing of ‘Pathogen.’

Overall, I must say that I was presently surprised by this latest offering by Impaled Nazarene. Honestly, they were never a band that I actively pursued, but their abrasive extreme metal has certainly struck a chord with me. Due to the band’s style is hard to pin point them to a specific style, but when the music is this enjoyable it really doesn’t matter.

Official Impaled Nazarene Website
Official Osmose Productions Website