Impaled Nazarene - Pro Patria Finlandia

Impaled Nazarene - Pro Patria Finlandia
Osmose Productions – OPCD178 – 03/01/06
By Sam Brokenshaw

INppfDigi.jpg

Despite hearing many a good thing about Impaled Nazarene, I've never really managed to dig them quite as much as certain people seen to. Certainly they're a competent enough band, with their own brand of lunatic Finnish tunesmithery, but something seems to stop them clicking with me personally, for whatever reason. Pro Patria Finlandia roars out of the gate with Weapons to Tame a Land and pretty much doesn't let up for the rest of the album. The band have a knack for working a certain melodic style into their otherwise brutal songs, making it somewhat hard to quantify exactly. What this essentially means is that Impaled Nazarene are unique in their own right, not quite sounding exactly like any other band I can think of.

The songs mix up old school death metal riffing with more grind core influenced sections and the odd bit of black metal to good effect, providing a kind of variation amongst the various tracks on offer here. It's not varied in the more progressive sense however, it's varied in different brutal flavours for different brutal songs manner, which again doesn't really appeal to me so much. I don't doubt for a minute that the people that keep singing the praises of Impaled Nazarene will dig this, but for me it just doesn't overly appeal. I can see myself throwing it on once in a blue moon, but it's hardly going to live in my stereo for the next few weeks. Good, but in my opinion not great.

6/10

UM’s Review Rating Scale

Impaled Nazarene Website
Osmose Productions Website

I have always liked implaed nazarene very much, but this cd has yet to grow on me and i feel worried it won't