--->Important Info for Hotmail/MSN Users

mousewings

Nov 21, 2001
MSN/Hotmail has added two personal preference options and switched them both to "Yes" without telling users. One of them allows your e-mail to be shared with other users, while the other gives access to personal information (possibly including address).

To change these preferences:
1. Sign into your e-mail account (for those with more than one hotmail account do this for all of them).

2. Click on Options.

3. Scroll to the bottom to see the two added boxes (probably set to Yes, share my information or something like that.

4. Deselect the boxes and save your changes.

Even if you have old Hotmail accounts that are still undeleted, do this for them too, since they have your information on file still...

I personally don't have Hotmail (since they have a small storage capacity), so I am not sure about the specifics of these instructions, but hope they are good enough. :) Also be sure to always log out of your Hotmail e-mail account once you are done with it. I've heard of people who went into the MSN chatrooms without logging out of Hotmail and their passwords were available for everyone to see.

Thank you for your time. :D

Originally posted by mousewings
I've heard of people who went into the MSN chatrooms without logging out of Hotmail and their passwords were available for everyone to see.
Omg, does this suck....

Thanks mousewings for the info, you saved us again :)

Hmmm i'm just checking it but didn't see anything weird...

But it's realy annoying how messenger always wants to update itself and keeps insisting on this :mad: :heh:

Thank you :)

On options the changes are under "personal profile"

Damn hotmail... :mad:

Ok, sorry for all the posts in the row, it's probably the 3 boxes under Options -> Personal profile (after you've logged in of course).

In the account i use frequently, those were unchecked as i wanted.
But in the account i just reactivated, there were 2 boxes automatically checked (share my email address and share my other registration info).
So ppl better be careful...

Originally posted by Thanatos
thanks mousewings :)

I fill those forms with fake data anyway :loco:

I doubt anybody would believe you dwell in Hades anyway :p

thanks mousie :)
btw,where do you find all these info on viruses and such stuff? You receive some kind of newsletter or sth??

~mel~(lazy ass who never searchs the web for virus warnings and such.... )

Originally posted by Melancholia

btw,where do you find all these info on viruses and such stuff? You receive some kind of newsletter or sth??

Yes, I receive a few newsletters where they announce warnings as part of their news and tell us to pass it on.

@Thanatos: The fake information on forms is actually one of the best ideas. The companies never check your information anyways and it ensures privacy.
Another thing to do is fill out as little information as possible on forms. Sometimes they still accept the forms when the address/other information is not filled out.