Impressions of DOD

I prefer DoD to BNW myself. Montsegur is brilliant - nice and heavy, sounds like something from Powerslave! There are other great songs as well like Paschendale and I love Wildest Dreams although it doesn't seem too popular :)

DoD is an awesome album, in my opinion one of Maiden's best ever. its like a tale of two albums, there are some heavier songs that will remind listeners of the Powerslave era easily, and then there are some amazing newer Maiden BNW type songs on here as well. highlights for me are always No More Lies, Montsegur, Dance of Death, Paschendale, Face in the Sand and The Journeyman, but all of the songs are very strong on this effort!

There are a couple of songs that remind me of the Powerslave era, but also of the No Prayer and fear of the Dark eras as well.
The title track ia an abomination, and the chorus of 'No more Lies' is ridiculous.
'Journeyman' is nice, Nicko's song is surprisingly good, 'Rainmaker' is ok, and the rest really is pretty average.
A real shame, cos I really wanted to like it.

I like it. Quite a lot of riff recycling, but still enough new stuff to make DoD an enjoyable experience. Fave tracks at the moment: Paschendale, Gates of Tomorrow, New Frontier, Age of Innocence. Overall the material is strong, no need to skip tracks here.

Nightwing said:
There are a couple of songs that remind me of the Powerslave era, but also of the No Prayer and fear of the Dark eras as well.
The title track ia an abomination, and the chorus of 'No more Lies' is ridiculous.
'Journeyman' is nice, Nicko's song is surprisingly good, 'Rainmaker' is ok, and the rest really is pretty average.
A real shame, cos I really wanted to like it.
I guess it depends on one's taste. I agree with your thoughts on No More Lies in that the chorus is too repetitive but it is still a great song. The title track is a great song and I see some Seventh Son in this cd. To each his own but I do like it. Is it my favorite...it's up there but I still like SIT and Powerslave.

I thought it was pretty disappointing. Not one real single strong song on it. There was some potential though in the songs. But where the hell are the great melodies and cool harmonies that are a Maiden trademark? The guitar solos (although they were nicely numerous) weren't even that good. I think if you took all of the best parts from each song and lumped them all together into one monster epic song, you'd have a good album.

But BNW blows it light years away.

Reckless said:
:hotjump:

Dod is great and anyone doesn't think so is gay.

suf.jpg

Most of it is pretty good. The chorus on No More Lies is very annoying and they have obviously recycled some intros from other songs, but I like it much more than BNW and the four albums prior. There are some pretty catchy songs and for the most part, it jams.

Good in parts. Shit in parts. Far too many songs on it. If Maiden can't write 11 songs without crap filler, they shouldn't bother. Stick to 8, it's a magic number.