Impulse tone test - a little thin

deathkllr84

New Metal Member
Mar 20, 2010
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5319877/Impulsetest.mp3

So I realize this mix isn't the best, it's just a short sample for the purpose of experimenting with simamp/impulse tones. It's a little loud too, but I like it punchy like that.

Anyway, the guitars aren't coming in very clear. It sounds too scooped to me, but there are already a lot of mid-highs. There are 4 tracks, 2 on each side (panned 100, 80) and the chain:

Left guitars: TSS > TSE X30 sov > impulse > EQ - soft clipper
Right Guitars: TSS > TSE X30 syl > impulse > EQ - soft clipper

I think part of the guitar sound problem is that I filtered out 150hz and below out of the guitars, is that too much? But then again I don't want to keep those frequencies because they seem to mess with the bass tone.

I don't know, just seems like anything I do to the guitars makes the mix become worse. Any suggestions? :kickass:

Sounds too cut off at 150Hz, especially when the heavy palm muting comes into play at the end there.
Im digging the mid-highs but could just need a tiny hint of mid-lows too
Drums could be just a tad bit over-powering which is why the guitars could be struggling to shine, try boost guitar frequencies to even them out more. But 1st try this:
Loop the heavy palm-mutes & change the high pass to 50Hz. Then, work your way up the freq range until they sound decent but not too woofy (Might be good at 50Hz)
See if it fits better in the mix & EQ the bass guitar to fit in around the guitars

Alright, so I boosted a little mid-lows and filtered the guitars around 55 now, I think they cut through a little better. I also turned down the cymbals a tad to give some room for the guitars.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5319877/impulse2.mp3

It's hard to hear the difference but I think the guitars stick out a little better now. Thanks for the tips! Anything else you or anyone wants to add?

No worries! Definitely sounds better dude, nice phat breakdown happening there
If your still not happy, could always try get those notes singing thru the mix a lil more:
Boost the 300Hz-500Hz range by 1-2db. I usually boost @ 417Hz about 2db