Impulses without power amp

jesus69lol

Apr 13, 2007
Are there any impulses that don't have the power amp section in them? I'm using the line out on my head and I read in the manual that the line out uses the power amp section so I'm concerned about having two power amps in my signal.

nope...it's really impossible to get an impulse without a power amp

in order to make an impulse, you have to send some sort of signal into the amplifier, which is then spit out the speaker and into a mic. in order for the signal to ever get to the speaker, it has to be played through the power section of the amp...

do you have an effects loop that comes off the preamp that you can use??

yeah i do have an effects send I would just rather use my power amp because I like the way it sounds. I'm probably being superstitious though, the tracks with 2x power amps sound ok i would rather have 1 though.

what sort of power amp do you have? because a lot of the impulses getting tossed around here are from 5150's, mesa's, engl's, and various other damn fine amplifiers.

in order for the signal to ever get to the speaker, it has to be played through the power section of the amp...

Not true... you can use a flat SS poweramp such as you might use to power passive monitors or a PA system, or even a hi-fi receiver or stereo system or something. A headphone amp will even work in a pinch. All of these will get you just the sound of the speaker/mic/preamp without the sound of a guitar poweramp. Perfect to use with a line out that comes off the poweramp, or with a Hot Plate or something like that!

Not true... you can use a flat SS poweramp such as you might use to power passive monitors or a PA system, or even a hi-fi receiver or stereo system or something. A headphone amp will even work in a pinch. All of these will get you just the sound of the speaker/mic/preamp without the sound of a guitar poweramp. Perfect to use with a line out that comes off the poweramp, or with a Hot Plate or something like that!
This is the kind of thing I'm interested in. I have a peavey xxx and part of what I like about my amps tone is the mixture of pre/power amp saturation.