In defense of extreme metal...

heh. crazy how different similar tastes can be. I wouldn't even put "The Dividing Line" in the first FIFTY Dark Tranq songs I'd recommend someone.

The Gallery is my favorite album ever, and the Dividing Line is one of my favorite off it...I think it goes
Punish My Heaven
Edenspring
The Dividing Line

but I was thinking in terms of lyrics. The Gallery would be a legit rec too.

for me it's:

Silence and the Firmament Withdrew (first place, no contest)
The Gallery
Lethe
...Of Melancholy Burning
Edenspring
Punish My Heaven

as much as I like their lyrics, I've never sat down and read them all.

wonder if there's a favorite lyrics thread which has good passages, not just whole song lyrics spammed.

i wouldn't start them out with extreme metal... i'd start them out with something like the Black Album and let them work their way towards extreme metal

the BM thread just reminded me...

Samael - Ceremony of Opposites Reissue (i.e., inc. Rebellion EP tracks)

I've found that people warm to this album, it being so fuckin catchy, and rather simplistic and consistent. nothing a non-metalhead could scream "it's just noise!" at.

I would show them albums that had a lot of abstract moments used for creative song writing. Nespithe would be a positive choice in this situation.

the BM thread just reminded me...

Samael - Ceremony of Opposites Reissue (i.e., inc. Rebellion EP tracks)

I've found that people warm to this album, it being so fuckin catchy, and rather simplistic and consistent. nothing a non-metalhead could scream "it's just noise!" at.

That would be a good one, I think. And it's not an album that's typically thought of first when considering extreme/black metal, so it would be a good introduction into more obscure music.

death - the sound of perseverance.
The first thing that comes to mind is Eucharist's A Velvet Creation. The lyrics are not typically gore and murder, the music is fairly melodic, and yet it is still one of the best.
great stuff.