Extreme metal albums ahead of their time.

Atheist had kickass riffs and interesting, unconventional songwriting on their first two LPs as well as tonnes of technical skill. So actually sir it is you who can fuck off. :)

Tormentor - Anno Domini
Demilich - Nesphite
Bathory - s/t
Darkthrone - A Blaze in the Northern Sky
Possessed - Seven Churches
Suffocation - Effigy of the Forgotten
Gorguts - Considered Dead
Sepultura - Morbid Visions

Regardless Cynic having growled vocals the band is not 'extreme metal' to me. Cynic might be musically extreme. The first 2 athiest cds are very metal on the other hand.

Krigloch the Furry-ass said:
Considered Dead & The Erosion of Sanity own the shit out of it.

I agree. I'm partial to these two probably because I'm really into oldschool death metal. Obscura and From Wisdom To Hate are neat albums. I rarely listen to either because both are very out there. The technique's used on these album can be pretty harsh making the listening challenging or simple something you have to be in the mood for which is not often.

I listen to considered dead the most. LOVE IT

One of the best death metal albums

The Timebird said:
soulside journey never gets enough credit

I agree

musical and atmospheric brilliance. The song structures are a lot less typical than a lot of early 90's death metal.

Tiamat 'the astral sleep' is underrated and different than any other death metal albums from the early 90's. Actually I just consider it a great exteme metal album because it's so diverse being almost hard to place into one genre.

Necro Joe said:
Everyone and his dog say this so it can't be true, it gets loads of credit from people who actually know anything about anything.

yeah, i think a lot of faggots slate it because darkthrone themselves do/did and thus their opinion is somehow *justified*

I'll go with some well-known releases that are perhaps less obvious in this context. Stuff like Obscura, Nespithe, Killing Technology etc. definitely fits the bill, but they should be 'givens' in a list like this.

At the Gates The Red in the Sky is Ours - Still reaching the elite, still repulsing the stupid, and really, no one, including the band themselves has managed to build on the ideas presented here.

Immortal Pure Holocaust/Blizzard Beasts - More than a decade later, Averse Sefira finally got around to taking the ideas pioneered on these albums and going forward with them. That, to me, is the very definition of 'ahead of their time.'

Burzum Hvis lyset tar oss/Filosofem - More 'beyond time' than ahead of time, perhaps. A million imitators, no successors, which is all that really needs be said.

Disembowelment Transcedence into the Peripheral - Thirteen years have passed, and still, nothing even remotely like this is out there.

Graveland Thousand Swords - The radicalism of this recording remains stunning. The band's subsequent releases are all quite conventionally 'metal,' but this is both utterly amazing and, when broken down, so completely atypical that I'm not always sure it's really a metal album at all, at least not in the strictest sense.

Zephyrus said:
Slaughter of the Soul

terrible.

The Red in the Sky is Ours and With Fear I Kiss the Burning Darkness were both ahead of their time, and have yet to be ripped off properly by any band.

I'd also add Lykathea Aflame's Elvenefris to the list, whether you love it or hate it the sheer degree of emotion injected into this death metal piece will probably never be matched.