Extreme metal albums ahead of their time.

CF87

Dec 15, 2003
What extreme metal albums do you feel are ahead of their time, albums that are plain and simply on their own plain. This is for albums from whenever that you feel were original different and ahead of others playing extreme music at the same time.

An album that comes to mine for me is Sentenced 'north from here' released in 1993. This album is like nothing else at the time that i've heard. Probably one of the first really extreme technical darkened death metal albums with some progressive influences. This album is musical and out there without sounding like a bunch of people that went to music school just to sound like every other musician that was tought the same way playing the same way. These are real death metal musicians that started out basic progressing eventually pushing the limits in a genre with an album imo. If the band would have progressed from this album rather than changing styles the impact of this album would be more noticed on a musical original and extreme level because the band would still have a lot of extreme metal fans/followers to mention it. Sentenced kinda pushed this album into oblivion by leaving death metal shortly after.

Hopefully this threads turns out great. I am curious to see what others have to say regarding their choice or choices album wise.

Gorguts - Obscura

Also, I really like 'North From Here'. Good choice, greys.

Heard it all before Demilich, Death, Atheist, Spastic Ink, Watch Tower ect ect
Original ahead of there time.

But i must admit i don't know this sentenced... so everyone post stuff i don't already know

And yes Cynic and Obscura rules.

"No dude, they mixed in some awesome jazz influences blah blah blah"

I'm with you Cairath. Atheist can fuck off too.