Zyklon/Myrkskog Actual Extreme Metal

The Wanderer

Watcher of the Storm
Ok, here's a thread about extreme metal on the extreme metal board. This has nothing to do with nu-metal.

What are peoples opinions of Zyklon, Myrkskog, new Behemoth etc. I think its amazing music and pushing the envelope of extremity. Its taking up where Emperor (the masters of black metal, always one step ahead of the pack) and Morbid Angel left off and going from there. I think its the new direction of black and death metal and boundaries are blurring. zyklon is one of my favorite releases this year along with katatonia, opeth and some others. i posted a review of the myrkskog and zyklon on UM if you want to check it out. what do you all think?

devin is the man though he hasn't made an extreme album sense city. i like his physicist project though, its really rockin. When city came out, i thought he was going to take it, but not anymore. darkane has kind of picked up the slack. they are heavily influenced by devin townsend. i think zyklon and myrkskog are taken death and black metal to new places.

If you like Zyklon, Myrkskog...check out Sirius's new album Spectral Transition-Dimension Sirius, it blows both of the 2 out of the above mentioned bands out of the water! I've had it for a month and still listen at least once a day!

Originally posted by bulletbeast
If you like Zyklon, Myrkskog...check out Sirius's new album Spectral Transition-Dimension Sirius, it blows both of the 2 out of the above mentioned bands out of the water! I've had it for a month and still listen at least once a day!

i just downloaded a couple of tracks. it wasn't that impressive. it lacks power i think. i might be the production..the drums sound really flat...do they have a real drummer? i'll have to listen it but i think zyklon is still champ in my book.

Keeping in the same vein, having just heard the new free disk on Terrorizer, a track by Anaal Nathrakh is very very brutal. Looks like their new albums on my wanted list! (Codex Necro on Mordgrimm records)

Originally posted by The Wanderer

i just downloaded a couple of tracks. it wasn't that impressive. it lacks power i think. i might be the production..the drums sound really flat...do they have a real drummer? i'll have to listen it but i think zyklon is still champ in my book.

i listened to the whole album. I like it more now and its definately not a drum machine so i withdraw my comments. i still think some of the double bass parts lack power..its triggered so it might of been fixed and that is why. they are good. i like zyklon and myrkskog better though.

I simply enjoy the Zyklon albums to the fullest. It is an excellent album that is pushing black metal to a new direction. The Myrkskog is a good album but not as good as the Zyklon.

While not as brutal as these two bands what do you guys think of Thorns? I think that the new album is just a tad better than the Zyklon.

I got the new thorns a couple of weeks ago. it is good, but i dont like it as much as zyklon or myrskog. There is something about that cd that is really weird. The guitars and stuff sound a lot like the latest satyricon and i dont like the drum sound either. i think it would of been better to get a permanent vocalist too, rather than having two really established guys do it. Its growing on me, but its nothing too amazing.

I totally understand you. It took a while for me to like the Thorns but once I did I highly enjoy it. I agree it sounds like the last Satyricon album, probably due to Satyr's involvement with Thorns. I also like the use of the two vocalists.

I think its just as extreme as myrkskog, or maybe more...i dunno. i love both. the vox on zyklon are better. so is the drumming. and they were fuckin good despite the fucked up sound at the metalfest. that ruled. oh and we saw trym all fuckin drunk stumbling around on saturday during the last band. that was fuckin funny. he was kickin shit over and stuff..heeh

I've been hearing Zyklon's and Myrkskog's albums and I must say that they are heavy and "extreme" but nevertheless they do not push the boundaries into any new direction. Yes, it is, of course, "high-quality" death/(black) metal but nothing special these days. There's no "speed" difference between Myrkskog, Marduk, Dark Funeral, Dimmu Borgir (!) or Morbid Angel, for example.
Actually there are bands with "new" directions; if you listen to Cryptopsy for example, it is the most extreme music you can imagine, simple blowing your mind out and they ARE pushing the limits although not "blasting" all the time! Emperor (rip) were also unique but they found their goals in the highest imaginable "individuality" and avantgardism, not extremity...

I'd say each of the above mentioned bands have found their own style and extremity but nevertheless are quite stagnant regarding extremity. I do not know if there can be another progress in speed, heaviness, sound etc. but Zyklon/Myrkskog are one of the many "extreme(st)" bands, that's right.

yeah Zyklon are fucking excellent, ive been saying this for months and months and months... since i got the album earlier this year. only no one really gave a fuck...

anyway Thorns are great too, and ive had Annal for a few weeks now but havent heard it all. yeah and i saw Behemoth live a few weeks ago too, they supported Nile and were pretty good, i was really impressed. oh and Cryptopsy are awesome too, only not so good live, but the thing is this sort of music isn't the greatest live if you get what i mean, its great, but its hard to really get going and well its hard to explain, still brilliant though.