In Ear Phones

HeadCrusher

Mar 20, 2002
Visit site
Im looking for some In Ear Phones to use with my iPod.

It's a MUST that they have -25db reduction of outside noise as I'm going to use them when I'm on the train and I like to listen at very low volume-levels.

So far I've found these two:

It's hard to decide because I don't really know how they compare soundwise.
Or am I just overcomplicating things? Should I just go for some consumer phones?

Opinions/hints/suggestions?

Most of the inear phones on the market has 20db's of reduction. More than enough to be able to listen at very low volume on trains etc. Go to a hi-fi store and try a couple. Much better than buying blindly. All inear phones sounds different too, and it's only you who can decide.

Good luck.

Do you really think they will let me try them? o_O
I can't imagine that for hygienic reasons... (Not that I'm extremely dirty but I guess you know what I mean. :p)

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Akg-K-324-P-Ear/dp/tech-data/B000ISP3QA/ref=de_a_smtd[/ame]

The design of the K 324 P provides a high level of acoustic attenuation of ambient noise, which means you can enjoy your music in more detail.

I own them and for the price they are top-notch. Can't say about how much noise reduction you get but I can confirm that it's a lot!
They're cheap compared to the ones you posted but for the price you could always keep them as your second pair if it's not what you're looking for after all...

i have some cheap akg´s (they weren´t no more than 25 euros) that do the job perfectly...if i were to spend more $$ i´d get some senheiser ones

Do you really think they will let me try them? o_O
I can't imagine that for hygienic reasons... (Not that I'm extremely dirty but I guess you know what I mean. :p)

If they're pro In-ears, of course you get to try them out before you pay. If you buy cheap Inear phones, it's another story, but those Ultimate ear phones...

I'm using the Shure E4s (older version of the SCL4s) and the noise reduction varies depending on which tip you're using (they come with 8). The triple flange ones are by far the best (they're roughly equal to my ER-25s) and I use them live for in-ear monitoring. They bring the massive stage volume down to a comfortable level and I don't get any ringing after practise, so that's probably a good sign they're providing a decent amount of exterior dampening. The triple-flange ones aren't comfortable for very extended use (more than 2 hours) but for short periods, they're fine.

Hey Headcrusher, I have a set of Ultimate Ears that I posted for sale a while ago. Here's the link:

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/equipment/421298-f-s-grado-ultimate-ears-headphones.html

I honestly didn't like them very much. They were pretty temperamental when it came to positioning them in my ears. I used them for a total of maybe 2 hours and they've been sitting in my closet. I think they sound kind of flat and boxy. I'm not a very good salesman but if you want them for $100 usd they're yours. They have all of the extras that came with them (different ear buds, tin case, etc) and I still have the original packing. let me know...

I was going to buy the Ultimate Ears until Audio Technica gave me a pair of these. I'm still looking to pick up the UE's for more discrete listening but for flights/train journeys the AT's do the trick.
Can you please give me the exact model number? The link doesn't work for me.
Hey Headcrusher, I have a set of Ultimate Ears that I posted for sale a while ago. Here's the link:

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/equipment/421298-f-s-grado-ultimate-ears-headphones.html
Thanks for the offer! Considering what some have suggested here I'm more into cheaper options atm though. But I'll think about it. (Shipping to Europe would be a bitch probably though i think. :erk:)

I use a pair by Etymotic Research (apparently the first brand to start putting out isolation/in-ears) for both drums and listening to music on the bus. They cost I think $100 or $150 AUS so not sure what translates into for you. They sound great and block out a LOT of sound, especially the ambience and room sound - my drums sound amazing even though they're shitty and in a garage. For just listening on the bus, I only ever have my iPod on half volume, if that tells you anything. Not sure about the exact dB reduction.

i'm actually a pretty big fan of the sony in-ears... they're pretty cheap (30-40 bucks i think) and they sound pretty good. they block out a lot of outside noise so it's good for if you're out in public. they're also really comfortable. i have a pair of the shure in-ears as well but on of the headphones died on me. they sounded pretty good, but i didn't think it was worth the $150 i paid for them. they also have this annoying problem where each step you take when you're walking muffles the audio.

try skullcandy - their cheap, look cool, feel comfortable as fuck and have better sound quality then my sony studio headphones. their amazing.

and their called in-ear monitors, not in ear phones. thats what we call em in ireland anyway

CX500's...... I've bought 2 sets. When I switched to them, it was kind of like when you switch from PC speakers to a set of real monitors. And they don't break the bank either.