circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
In Element – Evolution: Begins in Chaos
Sonic Wave International – 2005
By Jason Jordan

inelement.jpg

I’ll cut right to the chase: In Element play metalcore infused with industrial, and on the electronic side they can be likened to present-day Red Harvest and Samael. Therein lies a problem, however, since the latest offerings from the above-mentioned – Internal Punishment Programs and Reign of Light, respectively – weren’t that interesting. Though Evolution: Begins in Chaos proves competent on several levels, this hour doesn’t do much in the way of reinvention. Besides that, and in short, I just couldn’t get into it all that much.

Like I stated, this disc is an hour in length, presenting typical heavy instrumentation, which is then supplemented by all forms of synthesizer. At times, the keyboards are subtle, while at other times they’re sweeping. Or they simply coat the tune in a thick industrial paint. Worming their way through said coating are the Nergal-esque (Behemoth) barks, though not as upfront and authoritative, as well as needling guitar melodies and predictable drums. Featuring the best and worst of the lot simultaneously is “Architect of Chaos.” The beginning is not unlike latter-day Samael, although the guitars double as a life-preserver, saving In Element from an inescapable defeat. The –core breakdown at 2:50 sees the band reenter the muck, because the tempo slows to a near halt and cracks the momentum in the process. All is not irreparable, though, as the band rebound less than a minute later when all elements culminate to produce an affable section. Quite a comeback, if I do say so myself. “Cyclos” and “CyberGod” crush from the get-go, but rarely does any other piece fare as well as the ones I’ve cited thus far.

Luckily, my review copy of Evolution: Begins in Chaos is about as close to a full-on, professional as one can get. In other words, In Element didn’t shirk off any of the responsibilities needed in order to compose an eye-catching album worthy of distribution. Nevertheless, this isn’t enrapturing, nor is it impressive because this industrial-laden style has seen better days. Still, this isn’t irksome; it just left me feeling empty and unfulfilled. They’ve got potential, though. I must admit that. After all, I am under oath.

5.5/10

Official In Element Website
Official Sonic Wave International Website