circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Vile – The New Age of Chaos
Unique Leader Records/Listenable Records – ULR60028-2 – October 18th, 2005
By Jason Jordan

VILEnewageCOVER-med.jpg

Now this is a death metal album. I find it peculiar, though, that Vile have existed for a decade and I’ve never encountered them before. Still, with The New Age of Chaos – their third major outing – these Americans are going to succeed in raising devil horns everywhere.

I can see fans of Behemoth to even fans of Deeds of Flesh getting along with these severely-underrated metallers, as Vile are just as lively as any of their competitors. The musicianship is top-tier, for sure, and is capable of bludgeoning the listener with its blend of expert marksmanship and limitless fury. This isn’t standard in the traditional sense, however, because there are numerous surprises waiting around almost every corner. Similarly, there are transitions into territory that one would think would be uncharted for such a brutal, technical style. In other words, the songs on The New Age of Chaos don’t even consider chugging along for three or four minutes without drastically changing something along the way. And naturally, tempos, rhythms, among other attributes are not immune to Vile’s propensity for sudden deviation. “Worldhunt” is, perhaps, the most notable example of the aforementioned phenomenon due to its penchant for extreme transmutation with no warning whatsoever. Its companions don’t utilize as much ingenuity as “Worldhunt” does, but they don’t lag far behind. The opening numbers – “Devour” and “Deafening Silence” – are excellent, though more rudimentary than the other songs. So, to get to the point, I wouldn’t rely solely on the first few minutes of The New Age of Chaos to be an indicator for what’s to follow. Oh yeah, before I forget, you can actually hear the bass trouncing throughout the record.

I like how this quartet kept me guessing about where they were going with each passing composition. This isn’t quite groundbreaking, in the sense that it’s undeniably original, but between all the favorable qualities it exhibits, originality seems like more of a commodity than a necessity. In any case, this is thirty minutes of reputable death – perfect for a stocking stuffer.

8.5/10

Official Vile Website
Official Unique Leader Records Website
Official Listenable Records Website