\m/Misanthropic Hippy\m/
Nov 11, 2001
Ireland
Visit site
In Flames - A Sense of Purpose
Nuclear Blast - NB2083 - 4 April 2008
By Paddy Walsh

ifasop.jpg

A sad state of affairs it is indeed, when the once seemingly infallible In Flames become something of a guilty pleasure in one's record collection. For a band once so revered within the underground to have become the proverbial whipping boys to an ever angst-ridden metal community is by no means an unheard of phenomenon, but In Flames have had to endure more flak than most in recent years. Of course, the collective groaning of the underground is unlikely to bother the band too much - with '06's Come Clarity apparently shifting 400,000 units, their star is burning brighter than ever in the wider metal fraternity. This reality is much to the chagrin of those schooled in the ways of the magnificent trio of The Jester Race, Whoracle and Colony - with their beautifully winding, melodic leads, thunderous riffs and Anders' snarling yet strangely emotive growls. 2002's Reroute to Remain was undoubtedly the noose to their underground suicide, with nods to the alternative metal climate of the day, abandonment of the classicism of the past for a more straightforward, riff-based approach, and Anders' adoption of a less throaty, more mainstream-friendly rasp in conjunction with the increasingly cleanly-sung choruses. Reroute... caused much of their traditional fanbase to erupt into convulsions of spasmodic aghastery, the mainstream metal media caught wind of all the fuss, and the rest is history...

Two albums of mixed results later and next up is A Sense of Purpose. A certain UK 'metal' magazine recently proclaimed this work to be a return to twin-guitar mania of their earlier days - the reviewer was clearly either listening to Clayman by mistake or is an evil liar - it isn't. Rather, it's another step into the realms of imminent commercial metal superstardom that retains cursory elements of their tantalising past, but more often than not leaves them behind completely. Opener 'Mirror's Truth' is a bog-standard moder In Flames number, and its follow-up 'Disconnected' is almost identical - the latter wandering dangerously into dreaded emo territory with laughable lyrical abominations such as 'I feel like shit, but at least I feel something'. 'Alias', although sure to annoy the old guard with its heavy reliance on synths, is maddeningly catchy, Anders' clean vocals working well in this instance, and it's acoustic interlude an obvious nod to the Whoracle era. Bizarre as it may seem, Anders appears to be getting angstier with age, and as 'Disconnected' suggests, A Sense of Purpose is loaded with teen-friendly choruses designed to saitiate their newly pubescent fanbase. 'The Chosen Pessiment' is an 8-minute anomaly for the band, as they attempt the 'slow build to an epic crescendo' tack, Anders doing his best Thom Yorke impression early on, but the track is stilted by a repetetive guitar lick that fails to utilise the time afforded to truly go anywhere interesting.

Despite its obvious shortcomings, A Sense of Purpose is regardless a mostly enjoyable slice of poppy alt. metal, best listened to in the context of its mainstream contemporaries rather than as any addition to the current crop of Swedish melo-death pretenders. Indeed, alongside the many Killswitch Engage-esque bands who have shamelessly pilfered from them in recent times, In Flames are still a cut above most of them. It's just a shame that the fans of old must now look elsewhere, and it's unlikely that any of their Swedish copyists will ever create anything to match In Flames at their peak. A Sense of Purpose isn't the dismal failure the old-schoolers will have you believe, but nor is it the ragingly successful blend of vintage and modern the mainstream media are putting forth - rather it sits uncomfortably between these two summations.

Official In Flames Website
Official In Flames MySpace
Official Nuclear Blast Website

I agree completely with the review, but I have to admit I like this CD. I think it's a lot better than there past two efforts, which by the way I thought were unlistenable, and just crap.

This CD does have some of their old sound mixed with their new sound, and thats the reason why I like it. But I won't be listening to it much, it's one of those CD's that are nice when you have nothing to listen to, but as soon as I get a decent CD, out this one goes.

Nice review.

If anyone wants to listen to whiney annoying vocals and cheesy guitar riffs, this album is for you.
All the Killer-fast riffs and heavier stuff they had are gone forever now sadly.

Compared to some of the reviews I've read on ASOP, this is actually pretty good, though it doesn't go especially deep into the album. If I hadn't heard the album, I really would have no idea what it sounds like outside of Alias and TCP from reading this review... other than whatever "poppy alt. metal" is supposed to be. There are a number of songs that warrant discussion in a review (Sleepless Again's acoustic intro, Delight and Angers curious singing interlude, Move Thru Me's Soilwork vibe... etc) that aren't here.

I've always preferred DT. They don't seem to be as popular, though, for some reason.

I've always had a soft spot for In Flames, but this review is so true. I can listen to all their albums, but I always feel disappointed when I listen to the newer ones. I hear potential in there somewhere! They just need to shed the mainstream crap parts. Some riffs kick ass, and I still hear Sacrilege-esque drumming by Daniel. Anders needs his balls back though. I hate to say it but I think its mostly the vocals for me that are bringing them down these days.

Im a long time fan of In Flames and i was brought up on it but ever since Come Clarity came out I can even bear listening to them. They're old cd's like Colony Jester Race and Lunar Strain I will forever love but they have deeply upset me turning against their metal bretheren.

Nice review. In Flames was actually one of the bands that got me into metal from the beginning. But their new albums and especially the new fanbase is just a big dissapointment to me. To me, Whoracle remains their best album ever.

Nice Review! but i can't help but enjoy a lil bit from this album...
i mean a band can only stick to the same style and sound good at the same time but overall good job on the review.

i definately agree with some of the points u make here, especially the bit about them falling into the sort of killswitch engage metalcore trend, and it is bad in a way as old in flames was fuckin great music but i still think the band makes top notch metal and i enjoyed this album

Very nice review, But I have to say. Every album In Flames have released is a stepping stone in their life as a band. Each album has its downfalls as well as its sweet spots. Some would argue that older In Flames carried the metal torch more proudly, but regardless of peoples personal metal preferences, they are still nothing short of a true force of metal.