In Flames - A Sense of Purpose

600px-ASenseOfPurposeCover.jpg

The Swedish metal band that many love to hate is back with a new album entitled, "A Sense of Purpose." It's really to think that depending on which long hair you talk to, you get very mixed reviews ranging from subtitle praise to down right disgust; from what I gather the stem of hatred comes from simple progression in their sound. But for those that actually like the band, and have continued to follow the band through their musical changes, this album is really a step up from their previous album, "Come Clarity." Unlike "Come Clarity", this album is more spaced out in emotions with songs such as "The Chosen Pessimist" and "Alias." The album still features In Flames signature style but the newest thing featured this time around is Anders Fridén attempt at a more clean vocal. With songs such as "Disconnected" and "The Chosen Pessimist", emotion seems to be the focus of the album; this can be attributed to Anders' clean vocal in verses and choruses.

Aside from emotion, In Flames still focuses the usual energy and intensity that they are known for. "I am the highway" and "Sober and Irrevelant" are stand out tracks that provide the perfect intense "groove" to push the album forward to its conclusion. The album's single, "The Mirror's Truth", is a perfect track to start the album because it sets up the pace, the song starts slow and then blasts into full drive in a blink of an eye.

"A Sense of Purpose" is actually one of In Flames' better "post-death metal" albums and for those that actually give In Flames a decent chance will find themselves enjoying the new little features that they chose to throw in this time around. The album has several standout tracks, personally, I think the most memorable track is the epic "The Chosen Pessimist", that will play very nicely when In Flames begins to incorporate them to their live sets. The time for In Flames isn't over yet because the energy and emotion they have come to be known for is still present and stronger than ever.

I Am The Highway has no connection the audioslave song by the same name, does it? 'cause that would be hilariously appropriate if In Flames were covering Audioslave nowadays...

In the last few years the bi-forked tongues of some hyper-conservative media have written In Flames off as a spent force geared for commercial purposes, which is a tremendous injustice ‘cause IN FLAMES DON’T SOUND LIKE KORN, just like I’ve read somewhere. Never did and most likely never will and the fact the Swedes can now shift a six-figures per record and get air-play on MTV only proves that a lot more people have acquired a good taste in music. So all the accusations of selling out, mellowing up or jumping to whatever bandwagon is on hype are plain nonsense and don’t apply to In Flames, a band that have been constantly progressing over the years, without betraying their Metal origins. Not to mention that have yet to write a song called “A.D.I.D.A.S.”.
Whatever opinion formulated at them, a few things are certain, their place in history is assured as one of the godfathers of a genre that is globally admired and the quality of their back-catalogue is beyond reproach.

Review posted on Scratch the Surface Webzine.
More info at: scratchthesurface-webzine.blogspot.com

The mirror's truth doesn't start slow.

Anyways, I thought the album was great. Not truly metal - between melodic metal, hard rock, and melodeath. But if you approach it open-mindedly, quite good.

Their worst?
Not even close. Even if you don't like the songs, at least the sound isn't as shitty as STYE.

Soundtrack To Your Escape has way better songs then what A Sense Of Purpose has to offer.

As far as this album goes, it's alright, and I agree with Ozzman, it's a step down from Come Clarity.

Anyways, I thought the album was great. Not truly metal - between melodic metal, hard rock, and melodeath. But if you approach it open-mindedly, quite good.

This. Trying to find a genre that perfectly fits the new In Flames is quite hard :p

I personally love all In Flames albums, from The Jester Race to STYE to ASOP, but I think ASOP was a little setback from CC. CC had really aggressive songs, great energy, a ground breaking bass production, and some really impressive tracks (Reflect the Storm, Leeches, Crawl Through Knives ...), and while ASOP is pretty cool as well, I feel like the production is clearly lacking in agression and "rawness".

Btw,isn't it the time for a new In Flames album ?

Oh and sorry for the bump, but I wrote this before realizing it was from Sept 2008 :)

I liked inflames, but this album disappointed me, the whole thing had that, "why am I here / sense of purpose", feeling, okay band though