In Flames -- Atlanta

Cheiron

Jan 11, 2006
Just curious who is going to the show? Standing room only.. at Roxy. I just bought tickets, so they are available.

Trivium is going to be there as well (they are awesome. Good Florida Death Metal), also Zao and Devil Driver.

God I can't wait. For others, In Flames is going to be all over the US and Canada.

Well.. whatever you want to call them. I don't care. I have seen others refer to them by the classification of 'Floridian Death Metal.' You are right. That is really not accurate. *Shrug* They are really moreso prog/thrash metal. But... if you knew me, you'd know that I detest classifications anyhow.

Trivium is probably what most people would called hardcore. And you guys need to deal with it because hardcore isn't too far off from death metal. Killswitch Engage is another good example. Same with Soilwork and In Flames. But Soilwork and In flames are closer to the death machine genre.

And give Trivium a listen, they're actually very good.

Schmeg said:
Trivium is probably what most people would called hardcore. And you guys need to deal with it because hardcore isn't too far off from death metal. Killswitch Engage is another good example. Same with Soilwork and In Flames. But Soilwork and In flames are closer to the death machine genre.

Alright, so now death metal is close to hardcore?

I'm dying over here.

We can just call them Metalcore and be friends again? Ignore the Death Metal... comment of them then. Personally I think their guitar work transcends the definition of 'hardcore/metalcore' but... who am I to say.

Anyhow. In Flames. I can't wait.

Schmeg said:

Well, Trivium is pretty good, I agree. But they're not really thaaaaaaaat close to Soilwork or In flames IMO. Especially since there's no such a thing as death machine genre. Death Machine (the band) is a very good band and reminds me of excellent passages of Mudvayne (And by the way if you still think Mudvayne is a total-mtv band, you're missing some great technical metal) :)

Trivium is metalcore, a sad, sad American-based genre mixing hardcore punk with elements of metal. Trivium is typical metalcore, and their quality is somewhere between terrible and mediocre (with a dash of 'average' in there too).

They had no business on tour with Children of Bodom and Amon Amarth. The entire metalcore genre is an abomination to true metal, and has rapidly become America's new nu-metal. Whereas the Slipknots and Mudvaynes of the late 90s were mainstream, now Trivium and Killswitch Engage are becoming what the Grammys want to actually call metal, while our beloved genre rests nestled in the obscurity of somewhat 'underground.'

The real unfortunate thing is how these bands convince the masses that they are something other than a more metal version of hardcore punk. Thus, you have this guy calling them "Floridian Death Metal" and the even more atrocious miscalculation: "Prog-Thrash." Either way, they're straight up terrible (both Trivium and most metalcore in genreral). And have no more business on a stage with actual metal acts than a fresh turd I would lay after a chicken stuffed burrito at Taco Bell (imagine how 'metal' THAT is!).

Palabra de Dios said:
Trivium is metalcore, a sad, sad American-based genre mixing hardcore punk with elements of metal. Trivium is typical metalcore, and their quality is somewhere between terrible and mediocre (with a dash of 'average' in there too).

They had no business on tour with Children of Bodom and Amon Amarth. The entire metalcore genre is an abomination to true metal, and has rapidly become America's new nu-metal. Whereas the Slipknots and Mudvaynes of the late 90s were mainstream, now Trivium and Killswitch Engage are becoming what the Grammys want to actually call metal, while our beloved genre rests nestled in the obscurity of somewhat 'underground.'

The real unfortunate thing is how these bands convince the masses that they are something other than a more metal version of hardcore punk. Thus, you have this guy calling them "Floridian Death Metal" and the even more atrocious miscalculation: "Prog-Thrash." Either way, they're straight up terrible (both Trivium and most metalcore in genreral). And have no more business on a stage with actual metal acts than a fresh turd I would lay after a chicken stuffed burrito at Taco Bell (imagine how 'metal' THAT is!).

I pretty much agree with everything written here.

I'll be going to the show in DC, for In Flames has been one of my longest loves in Melodic Death Metal. Even though their last releases have strayed them far from the genre, Jester Race and Whoracle are untouchable. It will be great to finally see them perform a headlining set after all these years.

As for Devildriver and Trivium, This will be my 5th time seeing both bands and each time I saw them I was there for someone else. Not my style, but hey it could be worse. Like Zao. Oh wait they will be there too :(. Screw it, IN FLAMES!

Schmeg said:

I also have spilt my coffee over this comment. Trivium hardcore??? Seems to me that not many people no what hardcore is.....Listen to Agnostic front, madball, subzero,neglect,blood for blood etc.... then you will have a clue what hardcore is.

Palabra de Dios said:
They had no business on tour with Children of Bodom and Amon Amarth.
Actually, they did have business being on the tour. Their business was making sure all the venues sold out. I went to this show for Amon Amarth (I think I caught 30 seconds of Trivium and CoB combined), as I had been waiting to see them live for a few years. But even Alexi of CoB said, "We should be opening for Trivium." So both AA and CoB can thank Trivium for fattening their wallets and giving them sold out venues to play in front of and sell merchandise to.

Palabra de Dios said:
...now Trivium and Killswitch Engage are becoming what the Grammys want to actually call metal, while our beloved genre rests nestled in the obscurity of somewhat 'underground.'
Using what the Grammys think about music, to support any music arguement, is beyond silly.

Palabra de Dios said:
Either way, they're straight up terrible (both Trivium and most metalcore in genreral).
I'd agree that 99% of what is typically classified as Metalcore sucks ass. However, lumping Trivium into that genre seems almost as misguided as calling them Floridian Death Metal. Most bands are classified based on their musical style, not their vocal delivery. And as MadeInNewJersey correctly pointed out, musically these kids have more in common with Maiden and Testament than 75% of the bands we discuss here. And if Maiden and Testament aren't Metal, than I don't know what the hell I've been listening to for the last 25 years.

Zod