Jul 23, 2002
VA
www.dalenet.com
In Flames
Killswitch Engage
Dark Tranquillity
Sentenced
Jaxx Nightclub, Sept. 26 2002

It was a dark and rainy night as I stood in the pouring rain waiting in line for this concert. My friends and I got in like around 6:30. Finally, around 7:30 and after a few line skippers we got into Jaxx. This is my 4th time being at this place so I know what to expect from crowds and other things. My friend who works for a local newspaper basically just went to get an interview and review for the local newspaper, she doesn’t even listen to this kind of music.
We talked to some security, who then talked to the management, who then talked to the band. We got an interview! Peter Iwers came out and guided us to In Flames’ tour bus. I must say this was extremely awesome and exciting. We sat down and I gave my very first interview to Peter. He was very, very nice and I really enjoyed it.
We came back inside Jaxx but had lost our good spot but we got an interview so who cares. Sentenced started up as we got back inside, I am not a big Sentenced fan but I will admit they were good. They played good and sounded good. Ville? The singer was really drunk so it was pretty funny. I don’t know the set list sorry. They were awesome though.
Dark Tranquillity came up next, and let me say they were incredible. Man, I have been waiting to see these guys for some time now and it was totally worth the wait. They had so much energy so much enthusiasm they were having lots of fun. Niklas Sundin broke a bass string but that was the only set back and it was all cool. Mikael Stanne was super cool and energetic and participated with the crowed so much. The crowd was really into Dark Tranquillity. Mikael even grabbed this guy’s camera and took a picture of him and then gave the camera back. The set list was like this not in order: Wonders at Your Feet, The Sun Fired Blanks, Punish My Heaven, Zodijackyl Light, Final Resistance, Monochromatic Stains, The Treason Wall, Hours Passed In Exile, White Noise Black Silence. It was super awesome.
Killswitch Engage was next and I will admit they are a good band and have some good songs but I am not a big fan of these guys either. These guys played great and also sounded really good. Their new singer is a great replacement also. The singer kept telling the crowd to move around and after a few songs a fight starts to break lose in the crowd but the singer stopped it. They were really appreciative and seemed to be really thankful to play on this tour. These guys were good but not my cup of tea. Sorry no set list for them either.
Finally, In Flames for my second time. By the time In Flames finally came on we had secured a good close spot. The guys all came out in the white uniforms while playing bullet ride. The crowd was really psyched out, especially this young teeny bopper who kept screeching and yelling “you are so sexy” which was really annoying. They were in high spirits, lots of crazy smiling and crazy faces from Bjorn and Jesper like always. Peter was really into it too. Anders seemed a little out of it but I understand he has been sick on this tour so it was cool too. The band played flawless and sounded great. They all kept running back and forth to either side to show off to all the fans. They kept posing on stage for people taking pictures. The set list was like this not in
order: Bullet Ride, Embody The Invisible, Pinball Map, Only For The Weak, Gyroscope, Colony, Episode 666, Trigger, Drifter, Cloud Connected, System, Clayman, Black & White, Behind Space, Clad In Shadows, Ordinary Story. I think this show was even better than when I saw them back in April with Iced Earth. These guys are one great live band and it was great seeing them for the second time.
Final Thought, Overall it was a super good show. All the bands were really good and played good songs. Only thing bad is 2 of my friends had to go home because one got sick and then the other could not get back in the door after taking her home.

Jon

Well last Thursday night was the big show at Jaxx, In Flames/Killswitch Engaged/Dark Tranquility/Sentenced. I got there about 7:10 and got in the long line, I cut in a little but so what. Finally, got inside around 7:45 and thankfully it wasn’t sold out. I that think overall they had over 500 patrons, so maybe 100 shy of a sellout. I tried to get some food, but the kitchen was only doing orders for the bands at that time, heck even the lounge was only for bands right then. So, I grabbed a bar seat and got ready for the show. The guitar player for Division’s
wife sat beside me and we chatted, then my friend Will showed up grumbling about the crowd. Well, the clock struck 8 and Sentenced hit the stage. They played an excellent set with about half the songs coming from The Cold White Light and several from Down. I was surprised they didn’t play Killing you, Killing Me off Crimson, but the song off Amok rocked. Ville is a good front man for Sentenced, though he likes to keep his eyes closed a lot,
but he’s got good presence. About 8:50 Dark Tranquility almost killed me by opening with The Wonders At Your Feet from the poor Haven record. Thankfully they switched gears and played some songs from their excellent new disc Damage Done, plus some classics off The Gallery and Projector. No doubt about it, Dark Tranquility’s axe attack was the best of the night. I’m not a huge fan of Mikael’s vocals, but I guess since he’s not using effects I can’t diss him too much, however I wish he had shown his clean voice for more then 5 seconds of the track from The Gallery. After DT’s set I went into the lounge, but first drained the lizard. Anyhow I ordered up a 1/2lb cheeseburger and fries. Well, while eating Killswitch Engaged took the stage. Feeling
quite full I walked back to the floor area to catch the last 4 KE songs. Its kind of hard to judge a band you’ve never heard before, but I’d say they were good and didn’t bore me though I doubt I’ll check them out either. After a 20+ minute wait In Flames finally took the stage and it looked like all 500+ fans were still hanging around for them. They opened with something off either Clayman or Colony which was killer. A few songs later they played Behind Space, which is a kick ass song, especially the
blast beat sections, which are great for head banging. In Flames ended up playing 2 songs off their debut, but nothing off The Jesters Race which I thought sucked. Their music is felt more grooves oriented then I ever noticed before, the guitars weren’t what I expected, but I guess that goes with their new direction. One other complaint/comment was the excessive use of echo effects on Anders vocals. Either way In Flames put on an excellent show, maybe the best of the night.

I didn't go to that show, but instead went to see In Flames at the Mean Fiddler in England. And man THEY ROCKED!. They were so tight and coordinated with each other. With Jesper and Bjorn complimenting each other perfectly and Anders' vocals piercing the night, they truly blew me away. Surely one of my favourite concerts ever.