In Flames -Sounds of A Playground Fading (Upcoming 10th album)

krofius

Mar 16, 2009
This is where we will discuss the upcoming 10th album of In Flames entitled ''Sounds of A Playground Fading'' The album is already 100% recorded and it's about 2weeks left of mixing Anders said, so if they are already this much ahead I don't see why they would release the album as late as in the summer? More like May..we'll see :) Sounds of A Playground Fading is also confirmed to be a song in the album. Anders did also say what the album name was about, but I forgot what he said >.<
The album will have 13songs (or well, they have 13 songs recorded, there might be different songs on different CD versions and such).
Update: One song is apparently about 1:30 long and kind of ''spooky'' sounding according to the radio host. TEH RETURN OF INSTRUMENTAL IF SONGS?
Update 2: Album confirmed by Daniel to be released late spring (probably Late April or Early to Mid May?) That's good news.

Discuss: Do you like the album title?

My opinion is that I don't think the album name is bad at all, but I don't think it's the best one I've heard either. It reminds me of Soundtrack To Your Escape a bit :p
I'll let the music speak for itself, names of songs and albums doesn't really matter to me.

I heard Anders say... less screams more singing.
Oh yeah, forgot to add that. But we don't know to what extent though..it'll be hard to judge anything before we've heard the album in it's entirety. I just want it to be different from all previous albums, and I'm sure it will be :) Different is good, imo. Maybe we can expect a single in February? Would be awesome. Or at least news about the single in February..

Hmm.
Well I didn't like ASOP that much, I have to be honest about that.

I like a lot of rock music too though, but I hope the album doesn't sound like some "emo" music, or sound whiny.
I'd like Anders voice in ASOP if it wasn't so whiny sounding.

Oh and the title, seems strange, but it sounds kinda cool I guess. Makes me think of an abandoned playground, with like a haunted feeling or something.

I like the album title, but I am bias. I had a...I'd say poem, but more of a short story with the same title. I'm just curious to hear what this sounds like.

Posted on Last FM:
Btw this is some info I got from a site: "Bollnäs-Martin (Bandit Radio Host) argues that the plate sounds "darker" but it was just not quite on. In contrast, they agreed that Anders Fridén "sings more" on this plate, or as he himself said it is "more vocal and less scrimmage." And there've been a trend over the last album that he is using an increasingly wide vocal registers and reduces the screams and growls. Fridén said that singers and other musicians would "refine his instrument" and improve their vocal technique. The only thing that really revealed about the songs was one of them bears the same title as the album, there is a spirited little number at only 1:30 and that there are surprises like the sound of creaking floor and music from an organ ... On her facebook humming Martin in the context of listening "Nanana .. enter tragedy .. nana ..". But not a single sound from the mixes were placed on the air, so now you just have to wait!"

I had a feeling it had a haunted/creepy theme to it, that will be really cool.
And if Anders did some vocal practice, that would be cool.

What I can imagine is a darker version of modern In Flames, somewhat like a gap between STYE and Come Clarity. And the vocals seem like they'll be back and forth from straight up screams and clean vocals kind of like Scar Symmetry's vocal format.
Whatever it is I know will be something different. Who knows, could be their best new millennium album.

Ultimate Metal's forums all have this same format. Board activity is limited to three months before an album release and two months after.:p

I'm really excited about this album, perhaps we'll get a more ambient type of dark album.

Yeah the increase of clean vocals and decreased screams sounds scary, but it might actually turn out fucking awesome. I mean a song 1:30 long and with organs and creaking doors? That sounds fucking awesome and different. Was a long time ago IF had instrumentals. Well I'm sure it's gonna be fucking different than anything we've heard before, except I think the vocals are gonna be pretty similar to ASOP, but as we know, Anders ALWAYS uses totally different vocal approaches to each album. I'm very interested in the ''dark'' theme of the album that has been described. It also seems Björn is doing pretty many solos this time around. I'm glad the release date is like 1-2months earlier than expected since their time in the studio went so fast. But what sucks is that we're probably not gonna hear a song until early March or possibly late February.

Btw, year 2011 will probably be the BEST year in music that I will ever experience in my entire life (totally serious). New In Flames, New Bodom, New The Unguided, NEW FUCKING WINTERSUN, New Amon Amarth and possibly a new Ensiferum as well. This year is going to fucking OWN! 2 albums in march already as well..can't wait.

I got Battlelore so far this year...

Confirmed In Flames, Nightwish, Within Temptation, Vintersorg and TWO Devin Townsend albums...

With the possibility of Gravisphere, Fission and Waterclime...fuck this is going to be a great year.

When Anders says "more singing less scrimmage" does he mean the vocals will sound like STYE?

When Anders says "more singing less scrimmage" does he mean the vocals will sound like STYE?
Definitely not, I'm POSITIVE it won't be. He changes his vocals all the time, but I think it's gonna sound closest to ASOP vocals. It just means that there will be more clean vocals and less screaming vocals, but obviously not to the extent of bullet for my valentine with 95% cleans. We'll just have to wait, everything at the moment is speculations, and it's not necessary.

Definitely not, I'm POSITIVE it won't be. He changes his vocals all the time, but I think it's gonna sound closest to ASOP vocals. It just means that there will be more clean vocals and less screaming vocals, but obviously not to the extent of bullet for my valentine with 95% cleans. We'll just have to wait, everything at the moment is speculations, and it's not necessary.
Oh okok. Although I kind of hoped he would've thought about adding more screams than actually singing more. But it's In Flames and not one album have I not liked, so as you just said, we'll just have to wait and see.

Ugh...this album is going to fucking suck. I expected the new album would have more clean vocals but I kept my hopes up. Anders just needs to except the fact that he CANNOT sing. At all. Sorry Anders, but you blow at cleans! Even if they did some Scar Symmetry style shit with brutal growls and screams, it'd be ruined by terrible, awful, whiny cleans.

FUCK. This band is nearly dead to me. :D

Ugh...this album is going to fucking suck. I expected the new album would have more clean vocals but I kept my hopes up. Anders just needs to except the fact that he CANNOT sing. At all. Sorry Anders, but you blow at cleans! Even if they did some Scar Symmetry style shit with brutal growls and screams, it'd be ruined by terrible, awful, whiny cleans.

FUCK. This band is nearly dead to me. :D
No offence, but what the fuck are you doing here then? Nice hyperbole btw

I don't know why people still expect In Flames to touch their old material again. It's not going to fucking happen.

Oh and the title, seems strange, but it sounds kinda cool I guess. Makes me think of an abandoned playground, with like a haunted feeling or something.

The title makes me think... They are grown up now, no more games, life gets more serious with their families etc etc.
Could it be their last album maybe? :p