In flames - The Hive WIP. Feedback please.

Sidious

Apr 4, 2005
Hey guys

So, i finally got around and recorded SOMETHING. For this i used Reaper as the daw, and ezdrummer for drums. Bass is just a ghetto bass.

https://soundcloud.com/exardious/hivecompletertm

I would like some general feedback on the mix. I dont want it to sound too generic, i.e. like any other mix, but still want it to sound like something worth listening to. Playing is a little sloppy, since my no1 priority was to have a nice mix.

Keep in mind im a musician, not a producer, and i'm not trying to change that. I just want to be able to record stuff that doesnt sound like shit.

Any kewl tips, anything standing out?

Regards
JJ

Guitars are way too loud beside drums.
Also drums sound very thin (to be polite). Just take a look at Metal Machine. This will really improve the overall sound for what it costs (in cash and time as you already own EzDrummer).

pos : Guitar tone is ok. Not the best I've heard around here but definitely usable, given the goals you mentioned.

You might be right about the guitars being too loud. Since im a guitarist, i might have a tendency to focus on the guitars. Think Hetfield and Ulrich in the studio when mixing AJFA. :)
I'll try lowering them.

I know the drums sound like ass, but this is actually the best i've ever got them. I have no fkn clue what to do with drums at all. I actually bought ezDrummer + DFH some years ago, and completely gave up on them because i can't get anything reasonable out of them. Im a musician not a sound engineer, so go ahead and laugh behind my back, but im actually proud of the drums. That being said, i actually followed some posts about Metal Machine and will buy them, when the next paycheck rolls in. But if any of you have any ideas to the drums i could try out, feel free!!

Thanks for the feedback, dude.

Think Hetfield and Ulrich in the studio when mixing AJFA
haha, in this case, you're right in it :)))

DFH is actually quite processed, there is not so much you can do. I got some time, if you wanna see what Metal Machine is capable of with your materials, feel free to post your midi file. I'll send you back the raw wav files exported from MM. I don't own Slate SSD but if you plan to make the jump, it's something to consider.

haha, in this case, you're right in it :)))

DFH is actually quite processed, there is not so much you can do. I got some time, if you wanna see what Metal Machine is capable of with your materials, feel free to post your midi file. I'll send you back the raw wav files exported from MM. I don't own Slate SSD but if you plan to make the jump, it's something to consider.

Well i'd love to hear the metal machine. If you could maybe do one where you do all your magic tricks, but another track where its just the standard preset, without EQ, Compressor or anything?

And where do you wan't me to put the files?

more gain and less mids talking about guitars. As the other said drums are too thin/dry, less comp. Some ambience would help there. The bass is way too dark, i would have the bass handling the low end and the mids.

Well i'd love to hear the metal machine. If you could maybe do one where you do all your magic tricks, but another track where its just the standard preset, without EQ, Compressor or anything?

And where do you wan't me to put the files?

Actually, raw files from MM are already processed. You may just use them as they are. But you can also add some EQ or comp to forge your own tone if you need to. That's why home producers tend to like this library, beside the good quality of the sounds.
Use dropbox to share your files ;)