Metalcore WIP needs some help.

HellHounDx666

New Metal Member
Oct 30, 2010
Hey there guys! I'm new here and I'm also rather new to the recording scene, and I'm looking for some tips on improving my technique. I'm currently running my guitar into a M-Audio fast track usb interface and straight into Ableton live8. I run my guitar tracks into guitar rig 4 for amp modeling. For drums I use ezdrummer. My bass guitar is a Cakewalk Studio Instruments VSTI. And finally Izotope Ozone 4 for mastering.
In this mix I have 2 guitar tracks, both panned 100% L&R, 2 ezdrummer instances, one for snare, toms, and kick, and the other for cymbals, and a Cakewalk Studio Instruments bass track. On my master track I've got 2 instances of Izotope Ozone 4, one for widening, and the other for mastering.

I notice that occasionally one guitar track will overpower the other, and that the guitar tone doesn't seem to fit well. I'm looking for a very smooth professional clear sounding tone and less of a crunchy static sound. And I can't help but think the mix is too hollow sounding. Like, everything is spread too far and thin. All of the tracks in this mix are all rough recordings and aren't finished being written so its not very tight sounding at the moment but, I don't want to move on until I can get this sounding right.

Anybody have any ideas? I appreciate any input.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14217454/Metalcore Track 01.mp3

sounding pretty good man, welcome to the forum. it sounds like ozone is adding lots of highs to the drums that shouldnt be there. try controlling that as well as the compression, because it is definitely pumping too hard, especially during that buildup about half way through