In Honor Of - Metal (core?) the 'getting there' mix...

ryanojohn

Dec 18, 2006
So I started this project on saturday, did a day of drums, a day of guitars, and today did some bass... I'm looking for really any and all suggestions before it actually comes to final mixing stage, so I'm well prepped for that when it comes along.

Drums: Pearl Session Custom, Pork Pie Squealer Snare, Zil A Cymbals
Kick:e602 ->API512C
Snare:57 ->API512C
HH:KM184 ->Focusrite
Toms:C3000 ->API512C
OH:KSM44 ->Chandler Germ
RM:U99 (mid), R121 (side) ->Focusrite

Guitars: PRS McCarty, Mesa Triple Rec, Crate BV, Mesa Traditional Cab
2xSM57 ->SSL9000J
421->SSL9000J
R121->SSL9000J

Bass: Ibanez Soundgear,
Homemade DI-> M-Audio Tampa

Vocals: coming soon :p

I have pictures of all the setups if you'd like also.

http://ryanojohn.com/mp3/CYB6A1.mp3
Thanks.

I'm a bit of a noob here but I'd just like to say I really like this. I also have a few suggestions, that possibly might be wrong/not make sense as my ears aren't as good as a lot of the other members around here. But I just thought I'd give my opinion.

Sounds really good overall, but everything (guitar and bass in particular) sounds as if it's pumping a little bit due to over-compression.

The guitars also sound as if they could do with a bit more bite, possibly a bit more high mid/treble? There are also a few parts where the guitars drop out (especially in the breakdown sections) but you can hear the guitarists touching the strings/making noises whilst muting, that could probably be edited out, just to make it a little bit cleaner...

I know nothing about drums or bass at all but they sound absolutely stunning to me. Especially the snare. I guess it's probably to do with taste and might differ when the track has vocals, but I would probably bring the drums up a bit, as the guitars are very dominant.

Overall, I personally really like it. Nice job. Hope this was some help.

The guitars also sound as if they could do with a bit more bite, possibly a bit more high mid/treble? There are also a few parts where the guitars drop out (especially in the breakdown sections) but you can hear the guitarists touching the strings/making noises whilst muting, that could probably be edited out, just to make it a little bit cleaner...
+1

Good job overall dude!

WOW, definitely +1 on the pumping - hard to tell where it is exactly, but I can definitely hear it. Beyond that, though, absolutely incredible guitar tone and drum sounds man! Are these all natural drums? And what's the mix between the BV and Triple Rec? I'm surprised the former could hold with the latter. Hot damn...

As for the music, it was tolerable until that GODDAMN STUPID UNNECESSARY RETARDED IMMATURE TOUGH-GUY WANNABE BREAKDOWN ARRRRRGGGGHHHHH HATE HATE HATE I like puppies :loco:

EDIT: Actually, that part when the left guitar comes in by itself, there's definitely a lot of pumping there that I feel kills the attack, so that'd probably account for the lack of bite others mentioned - and would it happen to be BV left, Triple Rec right? Cuz when they come in individually, I definitely know which side I like better :D

Thanks much guys! I'll certainly go through and edit all the crap out of the guitar takes, and probably add a touch of eq to give 'em a touch more bite.

I was hearing the pumping too, especially right at the start, maybe like 6 bars in... the guitars kinda duck. I haven't figured out what that is yet, 'cause the guitar tracks do that on their own, so it might be the bus comp. I was initially thinking it was the bass or something subharmonic that was triggering it, but couldn't find it. I'll check into that a bit more.

Mixwise it's about 50% mesa, and 50% BlueVoodoo. The Mesa micwise had all the body of the tone, and the BV had all the top end, so i blended the two to get the guitar tone, there's no (post) eq on the guitar yet.

l_7c67639db6b2c6e0cb602b73d52da563.jpg

The drums are all natural, with the exception of the kick which was sampled from this same kit, at the end of the session. It's all just very tightly gated with close mics, the room mics are barely in the mix.

l_b1ba3acd3d9c858cf1bb2ee9a48a790c.jpg

Aw I like toughguy breakdowns, just to watch kids do stupid cartwheels and crap

actually it's both on both sides, the left is more (like maybe 10% more) BV i think though, and right is a touch more Mesa