mix in progress - Queens of the stoneage ish

MarcusD777

Dec 15, 2007
www.myspace.com
So I just started tracking 4 songs for a band today that came into the studio with drum tracks already tracked at their jam space into some type of Korg unit and wanted to lay down everything else at the studio... They gave me 4 tracks of drums to work with on each song, a kick, snare, one overhead and one room mic not to mention eveything was recorded clipped... They wanted to go for a real trashy aggressive Queens of the stoneage meets whitestripes/racounters vibe... So I ended up panning the one room mic left 50 and the one OH right 50 and smashed the shit outta them then compressed and eqed the kick and snare and brought them up underneath... Def gave the drums a cool vibe... I tracked the bass and guitars for this song today and this is the rough mix un eqed soo far... Should be cool to see how everything comes out in the end... Anyone else ever have to deal poorly recorded drums with only a few mics in a mix??

here is a clip...

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=803131&songID=7088616

sounds pretty good. drums do sound like the weakest link. I wonder why they didn't 1) redo the drums since they sound hella simple, or 2) just record on their own and have you master their mix. I guess you probably have to deal with all sorts though.

I don't hear any guitar tuning problems here, I think Kazrog is just being picky for the sake of it (puts on flame retardant suit!)

Nice mix, drums sound surprisingly full from the description you've given.

No Kazrog is right about some of the guitars... The chord stuff is fine for the most part but the single line guitars parts are a little pitchy... The band was very "let's do this in one take" mentality and the guitar had some intonation problems in the higher frets... But they werent paying me for producing soo I can only be soo anal about that kinda stuff haha... But I think for what they gave me the drums sound pretty good soo far... I haven't started to mix anything yet soo hopefully I can make the drums punch through a little more...