Infernal

OpethNZ

Nov 25, 2003
Visit site
hey people, id heard alot about swano and edge of sanity, so i bought INfernal, i think theres 5 or 6 songs on this album that are fantastic, yet all reviews and people who i ask about it dont seem to think much of the album at all, everyone just wanks on about Crimson and Crimson II, what of heard of these albums is ok, never listened to the whole thing, so you think if i like Infernal id like crimson or crimson II, fav songs on Infernal are 15:36, Damned(By the Damned), losing myself, hollow, and burn the sun...

The only problem with Infernal is that it is a little disjointed.

I gather the band was being pulled in several directions at the time... and it certainly sounds like it.

If you are not after the epic / single song style of EoS, give The Spectral Sorrows a spin.

Try Purgatory Afterglow. It's not as interesting as Spectral Sorrows, but I like it a bit more.
If you want more things similar to Losing Myself, get some Nightingale stuff. Losing Myself was actually created for the Nightingale project, but eventually, it was put into the EoS Infernal album.
My favourite Nightingale cd is The Closing Chronicles, but note it has very little 'metal' in it, just great prog rock. The latest Nightingale album, 'Invisible' is a bit on the heavier side.

I like Infernal. I like near all the songs of EoS. Sometimes more than the other songs and so on. Imo Infernal is near on the same Level as it Purgatory Afterglow is. I mean: Some songs fits more than the other and so on.
My Fav-Songs are "Hell is where the heart is, 15:36, Damned(By the Damned), Losing myself, Hollow, Inferno, Burn the sun, The last song". So nearly it's the whole album.

The Neckless Lobster said:
Good album, some good songs on it (the ones Dan wrote, mainly), but a lot of the songs are really bland and just kinda...there.

Some of the songs Dan didn't write on that album are also good. The only mediocre song is Helter Skelter; I think the stuff Axelsson contributed to was decent, for the most part. It defintely is an album without a personality, though. I agree with a lot of people that it's a disjointed effort.

And I guess the reason that people rave at Crimson and Crimson II is because, let's face it, 40+ minute death metal songs are quite a fucking achievement. It's not that Dan and Edge of Sanity just streched out whatever they had for 40 minutes; they're really impressive musical accomplishments.

On that note, Purgatory Afterglow has always been my favorite Edge of Sanity album. Twilight and Black Tears are the two best songs of any Edge album, in my opinion.

thanks guys, yeah the album is definately a bit over the place, easy to see the coming together of so many influences, ill definately give a listen to some nightingale stuff and the other EoS stuff you reccomended, hehe and in regards to helter skelter, yes thats one song i cant stand, its bordering on BM and just a quite bland song. Cheers!

OpethNZ said:
thanks guys, yeah the album is definately a bit over the place, easy to see the coming together of so many influences, ill definately give a listen to some nightingale stuff and the other EoS stuff you reccomended, hehe and in regards to helter skelter, yes thats one song i cant stand, its bordering on BM and just a quite bland song. Cheers!

You should check some of Dan's interviews. The album isn't all over the place because it wasn't thought up well, but because the band was in a rough situation and broke up soon after that album (I don't have the story straight myself, so I won't offer details). The next album after that, Cryptic, does not have Dan on it. And it sucks. (Which is a disappointment, because it seemed from Infernal that Axelsson had some good songwriting in him).

Yes, Cryptic definitely sucked ass, but I liked the opening song, "Hell Written", a lot. If the rest of the album was along the lines of that song, that album would have ruled, but you know...

The Neckless Lobster said:
Yes, Cryptic definitely sucked ass, but I liked the opening song, "Hell Written", a lot. If the rest of the album was along the lines of that song, that album would have ruled, but you know...

Demon I also had a nice chorus. We should add that song to my list of "shitty songs that could have rocked if someone who didn't suck at the time played them". One of you guys should do a cover of it and make it not suck! :)

Cryptic is the only EoS I don't have...
not going to buy it either...
haven't liked what I've heard...

15:36 and losing myself are my favourites from Infernal...
though "losing myself" is more of a Nightingale song, than EoS

I think my "Hell is where the heart is" and "15:36" is really really good deathrock songs. This was the style I had in mind for "my" Edge Of Sanity, but we all know what happened!! The intro for "The last Song" is very good, the cello and the real uprightpiano is great...but the ending section is horrible. The sound is not really good either I am afraid. Tägto wasn´t really nailing it...

Dan Swanö said:
I think my "Hell is where the heart is" and "15:36" is really really good deathrock songs. This was the style I had in mind for "my" Edge Of Sanity, but we all know what happened!! The intro for "The last Song" is very good, the cello and the real uprightpiano is great...but the ending section is horrible. The sound is not really good either I am afraid. Tägto wasn´t really nailing it...

oh my god
that makes so much sense now

i LOVE the last song but goddamn, that rock part at the end, it seemed so out of place (if that's what you're referring to)

hell is where the heart is and 15:36 were two of my favorites also (losing myself was my favorite), but i remember when it first came out i really loved burn the sun for some reason. i heard it again a couple of times recently and it's not that good of a song, but lyrically it's very nice. i even brought it to my high school poetry class way, way back in the day, i might add (we usually brought music from our favorite artists, not actual poetry).

Dan Swanö said:
The intro for "The last Song" is very good, the cello and the real uprightpiano is great...but the ending section is horrible. The sound is not really good either I am afraid. Tägto wasn´t really nailing it...

Damn, and I love that last part :D

Now this raises my eyebrow. I woke up a few mornings ago and listend to Infernal for the first time for a few months and I really enjoyed it! I dont know why, but it was just so nice and refreshing.

Hell is Where the Heart is got me air guitaring :)