Iniquity - Grime

dill_the_devil

OneMetal.com Music Editor
Iniquity - Grime
2002 - Mighty Music
By Philip Whitehouse

Go to the Iniquity web site.
Go to the Mighty Music web site.

Oh, yes. Now this is the kind of thing that I've been waiting for. Brutal, technical death metal with just enough melody to keep the NWOSDM crowd happy, sickening cover artwork, convulutedly in-depth lyrics rendered unintelligible by the relentlessly harsh growling of vocalist Mads Haarlov... fantastic!

If you hadn't been able to tell already, I quite like this record. You see, I was in a bit of a quandary previously as to which of the two main styles of death metal I preferred - brutal, or melodic. Well, bollocks to both of 'em. Iniquity have bridged the gap effeciently enough for me to say that I'll just carry on listening to them until something of equal quality comes around.

Iniquity serve up ten doses of almost distressingly heavy death metal, but they manage to do so while retaining a hint of melody that adds considerably to the weight of the songs, and while also managing to add more structural complexity to the songs than most death metal bands seem to bother with. This means that every single track is a successful, catchy, captivating and breathtaking listen. The production only serves to strengthen this impression - every single instrument is clear as a bell, which is just as well since Iniquity's considerable song-writing talents allow every member room to impress - take the little bass solo three quarters of the way through opening track 'Tides Of Vengeance', for instance.

And, in other surprising turnout for a death metal record, there's even a short, acoustic, melodic piece strategically inserted to give the listener a short break before throwing them headlong back into the grime (so to speak)!

Well, I've found my new favourite death metal band. Now I've just got to wait for the rest of the world to catch up.

10/10