circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Inner Wish – Silent Faces
Limb Music Products – March 15th, 2004
By Jason Jordan

inner.jpg

The first song on Silent Faces thoroughly confused me. It’s fine until we reach the five minute mark, but its dramatic closing should only be used in one (or both) of the following two instances: 1. in a live setting or 2. within the last track of the release. All the pandemonium at the end of the first song just sounds dumb and out of place.

Having stated my biggest qualm, I can move on to iterate that the first half of Silent Faces is utterly generic and somewhat repetitive. The band’s ideas fail to provide any rousing material; and the music is essentially bland. The members sound unmotivated as they plow through songs with cliché titles, like “Hold Me Tight,” “If I Could Turn Back Time,” and “Hold On.”

The good news is that the album picks up midway through. Rhythms are fresher and the vocals seem to improve slightly. The music isn’t able to rise above the “prog lite” label however. Basically, there’s not much enjoyment to be derived from Inner Wish’s most recent output. Chances are you’ll find something you like about this release, but I vehemently suggest seeking out superior progressive efforts.

5/10

Official Inner Wish website
Official Limb Music Products website